The Epson Stylus Photo R2400 is a color inkjet photo printer.

Every Print head is clogged!

So i havent used my printer in some time. Last time i used it it wouldn't print the magenta so I gave up on it, and put it away. It is a $800 printer and I would like to be able to use it. However now when i do a test print it wont print squat. I have seen various ways of unclogging the heads using windex but I am apprehensive about them. I use this printer for gallery prints and clients. Andy pointer would be great.

Here is a URL on cleaning your printhead. Ralph

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.ph...

Please read all the way through as there are several methods. Ralph

The problem with these printers is Epson ink is so thick if you use OEM ink. However, this problem is more prevalent on pigment ink printers (Ex: DuraBrite) then it is on dye ink printers (Ex: Claria series). To make matters worse, the head is VERY DIFFICULT to remove without damaging the actual printer on a lot of them. However, the problem can be solved by injecting cleaner into the head. Cleaning these printers is a messy procedure, so wear gloves if you don't like getting ink stains on your skin.

Since most Epson printheads are nearly impossible to remove, it's better to unlock the printhead and inject solution to fix the problem. However, if you can remove it without damage you can do a much better job cleaning the printhead. While liquid injection isn't as good, it isn't as deadly to the printhead. When it comes to cleaner you have two choices:

• Premade cleaner (check sites like eBay for Epson printhead cleaner)
  • Homemade cleaner

If you buy cleaner on eBay (or a similar site), simply follow the instructions on the bottle for the portions you are supposed to put in the printhead to clear the clog. If you go the homemade cleaner route, you kind of need to figure out how many injections are needed to unclog the printer. I'd recommend no more then 2 4mL injections at one given time. You need to get enough in there to break the clog down, BUT also not use too much.

If you care about the printer, you're better off getting premade cleaner. If you don't care if you damage the printer, the homemade option is worth trying. The formula I'd recommend for this is 1 part alcohol to 2 parts water. This should dilute the alcohol to a safe level while retaining the ability to clear the clog.

Since you are diluting the alcohol 1:2, you need strong alcohol. Because of this, I would recommend using high concentration isopropyl alcohol. For a percentage, I'd recommend at least 90%. Hot water alone doesn't work very well in Epson printers.

If you decide to go the homemade cleaner route, this is the procedure I recommend:

• Put 4-5 napkins in the print track. If you do not do this, the ink will go into your waste ink pads and cause the printers to trigger the waste ink warning earlier then it should.
  • Loosen the printhead. On printers with a white tab next to the service station, release the tab in the unlocked position. If your printer does not have this, put the printer in the cartridge change mode.
  • Put the ink cartridges aside. You do not need to put them in a bag, but it is recommended if you can do so.
  • Find some plastic tubing that fits over the Epson nozzles. You want tubing that fits snugly, but also isn't loose.
  • Slowly inject solution into the printer. Do this no more then 5 times total, but no more then 1-2 injections at one given time.
  • After cleaning the printhead, inject distilled water through the printhead to purge the alcohol mix. If you do not do this the printhead might get damaged and your prints will look like crap.
  • Use a lint free cloth to dry the printhead nozzles. The ink cartridges should not be inserted when water is on the tips where the ink cartridges sit.
  • Verify the results with a nozzle check. Do this once a week to prevent future clogging (do this more often in humid climates).

While your Epson is one of the few models where the printhead is actually designed to be removed, I would still advise against it UNLESS injections do not help. This process is difficult and easy for a beginner to get wrong and destroy the printer. The procedure typically involves removing 2-4 screws and disconnecting two flat flex cables. Once the head is removed, soak it in the solution.

Alcohol can't be good for the rubber gaskets.

Still safer then ammonia, which destroys the anti-clog coating and encourages it more then before.

what I found to use on my Epson Artisan 50 and R280 was to use Windex with Ammonia. I used a syringe with about 2-3 " of flexible tube on the end. I used some new fuel line for my chainsaw, it is clear and very soft and flexible. I removed the cartridge and drew up any remaining ink in the print head.Then I drew up Windex into the syringe and squirted in with medium pressure into the "cone" the cartridge goes on, then left the syringe attached with Windex overnight. In the morning I pulled back on the syringe plunger and squirted the muck into the sink, do this several times. You can also inject water, used distilled , not tap or mineral , to flush out. Try first to draw out as much as you can so you don't force stuff back into the nozzles. You may have to do this process several times. Your cartridge at this time may have a vapor lock to get it flowing again I bought from MSI Ink or inksupply.com a tip that fits on the syringe that looks just like the cone on the print head you can draw out ink till it flows, do a cleaning cycle and you are back in business, they also have high quality ink.

I sujest one thing that you have to use high quality printing ink suitable with your machine ,i think some time unmatching inks may cause to blocking head. get service from service provider

I recommend you having the printer cleaned by people who does maintenance on Epson printers.Or you could get some cleaning kit for print head.Here are something you maybe need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i78Tu3RVO...

Old post but for anyone that comes along DO NOT USE WINDEX WITH AMMONIA to clean your print head! There is a coating of oil on the print head designed to keep it wet. The windex will remove it and your print head will be prone to dry out if not used nearly daily.

Or head damage in the printer is?

matajuro will be eternally grateful.