The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Is MacBook 2006 worth upgrading?

My tween daughter needs a computer for school. I don't have the money to spend on a new computer. Is it worth the cost to install a new hard drive (500gb) and RAM (2gb)? I could do the installation myself.

Susan - Yes it's worth putting in $200 or so to give it new life. It won't be as likely to be stolen Vs a new shiny MacBook Pro, or be as great a loss if broken. Before you do check with her school on what apps (OS) she will need to run on it to make sure it will meet their specs.

Check around you might find a cheaper HD & RAM. Micro Center has a sale on 1Tb drives for $90, its a slower version 5.4k Vs 7.2k and does not have any SSD which may be OK for your kids system.

Yes - If you can read and follow directions, use the proper tools. We're here to Answer Questions, but if you follow the tags at right and use the guides it's possible.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Most Helpful Answer

Your machine should be able to upgrade to 4 MB of RAM. I really like the Seagate 7400 Momentus hard drives, here's one: 500 GB SSD Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive

susan hansen will be eternally grateful.