Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Won't turn on, defo not the motherboard.

Hi, got an iphone that for the life of me I can't work out. Basically it was working perfectly, I left it on stand-by overnight and woke to find it off and not switching on...100% no water damage.

Anyway, left it on charge for a few hours with no sign of life, then all a sudden it took a photo itself and sprung to life. Battery level was 100% so I disconected it from the charger, 2 mins later it died again and wouldn't turn on...I bought a new battery and didn't work, tried holding the power button and home button but that also didn't do anything. When on charge (or connected to PC) its fine, so I restored and still no joy. I then began to think that Motherboard got damaged somehow so I nicked my wifes phone and swapped over motherboards to test, it worked perfecty just like it use to. ? (and my wifes Motherboard wouldn't work in my shell)

So..what do you guys think the problem could be ? I swapped batterys over and that didn't alter anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

to clarify, your mobo worked in your wifes shell but her mobo did not work in your shell?

if so than i would say there is a peripheral problem in your shell. try unpluging all connectors from your mobo except your dock connector. the power button will not work but if you plug in a charger it should power itself on. if it works then you got a bad cable to one of your peripherals. then you just have to do it one at a time until it acts up and when it does you will know which one is bad.

my guess is a water damaged charge port. id say 95% of iphones i work on have the charge port water damage indicator thrown.

Thanks PickleFish, took your advice and discovered that the power button flex cable was faulty. Ive put a new one in in its been fine for 24hrs. Thanks

Wurzel will be eternally grateful.