Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Will only restore from DFU mode

My newphew's iphone4 (passed down from me a year or so ago) had developed a fault with it's wifi (no reception unless literally on top of the wifi router).

I followed a guide on this site and replaced the wifi antenna - now I get wifi just great.

I wanted to wipe the device ready for my nephew to set up again from his itunes - but every time I tried a restore from itunes it would fail with error '-1'.

I've managed to get it to restore successfully by running the restore whilst in DFU mode - but even after getting it up and running again itunes still can't restore it in normal circumstances, or run a firmware upgrade.

I'm stumped - anyone know what I can do to get this back to a stage where my nephew can use/abuse it without having to know about the DFU mode etc if it ever needs restoring?

I had the same problem with iphone 3gs with replacement LCD screen from ebay, After i replaced it with OEM LCD, I had no problems any more.

My friend had the same problem but with replacement battery, also from ebay

Greetings

Interesting.

I don't really know for sure what parts could have been replaced in this device if any (other than the wifi antenna) - are there tools out there that can check?

stek2009 will be eternally grateful.