Model A1174 with 2 GHz Core Duo or Model A1207 with 2.16 or 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo

How serious is my optical drive fan problem?

I have a problem with my optical drive fan. It makes a consistent low-level chirping noise. can anyone tell me what is likely to happen next? Is it likely to be doing any damage internally? Is it likely to just stop working? If it does, will the machine overheat? How quickly/seriously should I get this checked out?

It sounds like the fan bearing is going out. Here's how to replace it; iMac Intel 20" EMC 2105 and 2118 Optical Drive Fan Replacement

I'd contact iFixit to locate the part, here's the link: http://www.ifixit.com/Info/contact

I dont really feel comfortable doing this myself. Is it best to get it looked at by a Mac bod? I am guessing it might cost a bit?

well - as i wrote in the original question - look out for a pro - they will do that for you

If you don't want to fix it yourself, I would get the fan and call a couple of techs and tell them what you want done and get pricing for the installation before just taking it in. This will save you diagnostic charges. This does take about 45 minutes to an hour to do (the screen screws can be very difficult). $50 to $75 fee would be reasonable.

andrew will be eternally grateful.