MBP will not run on battery power
Late 2008 15" MBP Unibody 2.53 Core Duo
Upgraded to 8GB RAM
My MPB shuts down immediately if I remove it from AC power, even though I have a fully charged battery. No Water, drop or squeeze damage. Coconut Battery and OSX System Profiler both state that the battery is Normal, 100% charged at 176 cycles. Coconut says the battery is 84% capacity, which i think is normal for its age.
A few other things of note:
1) The battery charge indicator button does not respond at all when I'm off AC power. When I plug into AC power, the battery indicator light works perfectly, showing that the battery is fully charged.
2) My fans are firing up at very odd times, such as start up. The MBP has been running hot since I installed Mt. Lion. Apple says this is not related to Mt. Lion.
3) RIght before this AC/battery issue started, I noticed that my battery was only lasting One Hour (!) off of a full charge. I could have sworn it was at least two hours life since I switched to Mt. Lion. The battery useage problem seems to have cropped up with the latest Mt. Lion update.
4) I did upgrade my MPB to 8GB of RAM. Apple doesn't officially support it for this model, but multiple users reported it's fine to do from Lion, upwards. I've attributed my extra fan activity to the 8GB Ram upgrade, which could be wrong :)
5) this is not a charger issue, same behavior on two other chargers.
6) I don't have access to a diff battery, as it's New Years Day & our Mac Repair store isn't open. If I can get access to another battery for testing I will update this post.
Many thanks for any help or advice!
Is this a good question?