Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

3TB drive does not appear in disk utility

I need some help, I read that I could put a 3TB SATA III drive in my 20" iMac (2133), using the usb kit for internal HDD, I connected the drive through USB with the intention of cloning but it doesn't show in 'disk utility', although it appears in the USB part of 'system information'

Any help would be much appreciated.

Neil

I had the same problem. What you need to do is install the HD into the Mac. Disk Utility will now see it as a 3TB Drive.

Thanks Craig, I ended up trying this and like you say it worked perfectly! no problems to date. 250GB to 3TB ace!

Most Helpful Answer

Your machine is rated for a Serial ATA (3 Gb/s). Your drive may be faster than this and need to be jumpered down. Google the name and model number of your drive plus the word "jumper", to find the correct placement of the jumpers to get it to the correct speed.

neilpetrie will be eternally grateful.