Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Why do my calls echo to recipients after I replaced dock connector?

I successfully (or so I thought) replaced the dock connector as it wasn't charging. It charges fine now both from the wall charger and computer, however now my recipients of my calls (in and out) get an echo of their voice. I do not hear the echo in my phone.

It helps the callers when I turn down my main volume (to 20% or lower, but then I have trouble hearing them. Any suggestions? My mic is situated ok.

Thanks,

Dave

I have the same problem with my 4s. I changed the dock connector and earpiece. Now there is echo to recipient. I tried to check all the steps from a to z. But could not fixed the echo.

I assume there is some isolation missing but i dont know where?

Do you have any idea ?

Hakan.

check all the screws and connections on the top edge of the phone logicboard..I'm sure there's a small mic near the speaker which may be picking up their voices and relaying it back to them.iPhone 4S Headphone Jack & Volume Control Cable

I had a client who had the same problem... changing the dockconnector was no succes.

i try to find the problem and when I left the back case off there was no echo. When I placed it back on the echo was back. So I a placed a kind of foam between the EIM shield and the backcover and the echo was gone...

Hope this fix your problem!

This Solved the problem for me!

hello, can you please share what kind o foam did you put and where exactly? thanks

I have see this happening after a lcd replacement and the issue was the mic or the speaker was not mounted properly. Just the two things i have come across

Solve it by change the dock connector

i really don't have an explanation for that but it work now very good

i have been able to fix the same problem by changing the dock connector also +1

well check mic spacer is ok and fitted properly over mic and mic space..

hope its going to work

Hey everyone,

I too had the problem with the echo after having my dock connector being replaced. I brought it to another place and explained the problem. They replaced the dock connector again, but the problem persisted. I also mentioned that I had noticed that when I'm calling someone it would ring in short and fast rings. They replaced the ringer and that fixed the echo problem and the abnormal ringing. I hope this helps for those of you who are still dealing with this issue!

- alex

Just had this problem with an iPhone 4s that one of my junior employees repaired for a customer, customer came back with complaints of the call recipient having nasty echo feedback of their voice after having the charge port/bottom mic replaced. One other thing about this situation is that when the rear glass was removed the problem disappeared.

After opening it up and having a look I noticed that the rubber gasket that usually sits over the microphone was gone. I tore apart an iPhone 4 that i had spare to get the gasket out, fitted it to the faulty 4s and the problem was gone.

My theory is that the mic was making direct contact with the metal frame, as the ear speaker at the top made noise (of the other person speaking) it caused vibrations through the case (or possibly the rear glass) which in tern made it's way back to the bottom mic causing the feedback. These microphones are pretty sensitive so it needs to be insulated from the housing with that rubber. Hope this helps!

Other things that can cause the problem are: Cases that block the top/noise cancelling mic (located near the headphone jack port, it's a tiny hole) or a faulty noise cancelling/top mic which is part of the headphone jack/volume button flex on an iPhone 4s and part of the power button/proxy sensor flex on the iPhone 4.

Always transfer over rubber gaskets/components when replacing parts.

davedarc will be eternally grateful.