The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

MacBook screen frequently stops and asks me to restart the computer

A month ago, I replaced one of my MacBook 1GB RAMs with a 2GB RAM. The computer started up and ran as usual. Then all of a sudden my screen would freeze and I would see thin green vertical lines across my screen. I held down the power button and turned off the computer and started it up. This routine happened frequently. I then switched the RAMs in the two bay compartments. The 2GB was moved to the first bay of the right. After that, my MacBook ran fine for a month. Now, it's doing it again but differently. The screen dims and a box with text appears saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power..." in different languages. There's also a power symbol in the background. Here is a picture Link text

This happens very frequently after manually shutting down of course. Sometimes I turn the MacBook back on and the lower right light blinks with an beeping error tone.

The first thing I'd try is to replace the 2 GB stick with the original 1GB stick. There may be a problem with that memory. Ralph

agreed +

same problem, similar circumstances but with the advise above it helped and solved the problem. macbook is working again.

thanx

Pearson will be eternally grateful.