Garage door closes after opening

Hello!

Recently my garage door started closing immediately after being opened via the remote or the button inside the garage. After several attempts to open it, it finally stops going down again, or if you push it upward when it's near the top, it seems to stop it.

Anyone know what would cause this, and if there's a simple fix, or do I need a new garage door opener? Getting my car in the garage is like playing a strange video game, and one of these days it's going to scrape my car! :-(

My garage door opener is a Sears 139 65 3000.

John

It eventually stopped automatically closing on its own, but it would still be interesting to know what component, etc., is responsible for this behavior.

Don't you just hate problems that solve themselves?

I don't mind them, as long as they stay solved, and don't become intermittent (as they usually do)

I wonder if it's "reversing" (Not closing on it's own) because it's binding or hitting an obsticle near the end of the upward portion of your track - check your supports, one may be lose or have dropped a bolt/nut that's in the track. If you have torsion springs the cable drum/pulley may bind at the end of upward travel.

There are "tensions" or adjustments that can change the amount of pressure before reversing starts.... that may have vibrated to a setting that's too quick to reverse.

There is an 'open force' adjustment that can be changed. Sometimes it goes out of adjustment over time as the weight of the garage door can change with humidity or moisture and/or the springs change tension especially after being replaced. Or as machead3 states, through vibration from ther drive train.

The manual for this opener can be downloaded:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/pd_downl...

Reference page 13.

I think it could be something in the eyes at the bottom of the door not lined up.

rdklinc will be eternally grateful.