Nintendo handheld device released February 2011, identified by model number CTR-001.

No power - makes a popping sound - fails to turn on.

I have 3 (three!) 3DS systems that have the same problem. When you press the power button, the blue light turns on for a second, and then the screen flashes with a popping sound and the system shuts off.

Any idea on what's going on here? I read something once about a fuse, but that was long ago.

Thanks,

Andrew

i'm having the same issue as andrew had, my 3ds after i turn it on, it shuts off in 3 seconds, before it made popping sounds, when i dropped it, it was fine, except that the brightness on the top screen was more like a five, i really need help on this, if anyone had the same problem and got theirs fixed without calling nintendo, please help me out here.

I have the same problem, except at random moments during gameplay it makes a popping sound, goes black, then resets the time. I think I figured out how to make it stop (by not moving the top screen while playing) but when I move it, it resets. Gets kinda annoying, especially playing games when you need to tilt it or move it around.

I have the same thing are there any ways to fix it I even charge it and it won't come one

nintendo have fixed this but u either have to replce top screen or bye a newer 3ds

I have the same issue. I have taken the 3ds apart but all ribbons seemed to be seated well and there doesn't seem to be any tears in the ribbons. The only thing I noticed was the WiFi antenna is torn a bit. In all fairness I don't remember if I tried it with the WiFi off. Could the WiFi antenna cause this issue?

The problem is the speaker or camera cables. It's usually the speaker cables—rarely is it the camera.

The cable will have a micro tear on it due to the opening and closing of the 3DS. The manufacturer should have protected the ribbon cables.

how do you get the thing to take it off and put it back on

can u just unplug the cable?

That's helpful, but what if your 3DS is a 3DS XL?

Andrew, start by checking the fuses for continuity. After that, you will have to check the LCD's. Sounds to me like that is where the problem is.

Seeing as the unit turns on and off instantly, a Cable may not be seated properly like tiny login said. I know the DS and I'm pretty sure the 3DS have these symptoms when a cable isn't seated properly.

Had the same problem with my sons 3DS.

Check the ribbons behind the top LCD screen. They come loose from opening and closing the DS and can cause a short. In mine, I was lucky and it was just a loose ribbon so it could be fixed.

To expose the back of the top LCD screen, follow ifixit instructions. Be careful removing the screws. The speaker magnets are quite strong and the screws are attracted to them which could tear the speaker cone.

Check to see that all the small ribbons under the speakers (volume, camera, 3D) are properly seated in the connectors. The connectors are like buckles. To reset a loose ribbon, gently lift the top of the connector latch opposite of where the ribbon is inserted. Carefully re-insert any loose ribbons and close the latch.

I then created some slack in the main ribbon at the bottom and taped it down so it wouldn't move when the DS was opened and closed.

This solution worked for me.

sorted this issue just by removing the bottom battery cover then removing the 8 or so screws that holds the base , as soon as you gently slip the bottom case off be careful as there is 2 tiny little ribbons that are pop fit 1 to the left top, 1 to the right top,also to the top right corner you will more then likely see the ribbon that has come out of its clip fit, gently lift the flap and re insert the ribbon and then re close the flip catch, this is such a common problem with the 3d ds as the ribbon is tight so it don't take a lot to dis lodge it, a slight knock or it being dropped, i hope this helps those that don't think they are able to attempt to fix this just take the dive it can't get no worse if it don't work in the 1st place ;0) and if you manage to fix it your be the best dad/mum in the world makes it worth trying don't it ? lol

Can you help me fix the Nintendo

What's Wong with it?

I managed to "fix" a 3DS that was exhibiting the exact symptoms as in Andrew's fault description.

I followed oldturkey's advice and opened up a 3DS I bought recently. The unit was sold as faulty, and I could see from the wear on the screws that it had been opened at least once before.

The fuses checked out ok, so I put it all back together. The iFixit guide doesn't mention it, but some of those ribbon cables are a real pain to get back in (I recommend some rubber-tipped tweezers!).

Anyway, long story short, the unit starts working the moment I have it all back together. I'm therefore assuming that:

1. A previous repairer had failed to get those ribbon cables connected up properly, or
  2. The unit had received a jolt at some point that had dislodged one of the ribbon cables.

I had the same problem with my son's 3ds... That popping sound when you try to turn.It on and then fails to turn on... After tried to reset it... We figured out... That you dont have to open the cover more that 90° or 100°.... But we still haven't fixed it yet..(cuz we don't have the right knowledge).. But now he can play his fav games.. Lol

Most likely the 3ds, speaker cable, which also powers the top lcd back light, is faulty. There is a small tear and pulling the cable just right is causing the popping sound. The cable needs to be replaced.

That was the same for me and it worked fine whenever I dont open it more than 90 degrees but then after a while it doesnt turn on at all.

I had same issue. Already replaced board, speaker cable, lower lcd, digitizer and still can't make it work. The only major piece I have not replaced is top lcd and camera cables. This is very frustrating. I have almos spend on parts what a good second hand unit would cost. Any insight? By the way all wires are sitting properly. I have disassembled completely the unit 3 times and still turning off with pop sound.

My daughter's 3DS is having the same issue with the popping sound after turning it on. I opened and re-seated the cables and was able to turn on the 3DS but when you open it past the 90 degree angle it pops off again. Any suggestions? I didn't open the top part cover though because I was kind of hesitant to go any further because of the LCD but I will if I have too. I've seen on some YouTube video that there's ribbon cables in the back of the LCD cover but I didn't see if there's some that can be re-seated. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Your cable has a tear that is causing the popping sound. The cable will need to be replaced.

I had a similar problem when a small amount of rubbing alchohol fell on the system. If liquid was involved, take battery out and place whole sytem in rice. Worked again after 6 hours.

'''I repair these thing for part of my living and am seeing system power off problems and 'flash pop' will not power on at all issues that do not seem to relate to the standard top screen . speaker ribbon problem.

The p6 connector is a pain o the 3sd XL and they are very easy to damage. Parts for the 3ds XL are hard to come by and expensive.

Any ideas anyone? cheers Dan'''

This problem happens with 2ds as well any ideas

We get parts from systemmods xmoddz usually

Its usually the speaker or camera ribbon, or a screen problem

Never known the camera ribbon cause this problem - in fact you can operate the machine with the camera ribbon disconnected.

Just searched systemmods xmoddz and they only have charge socket for 3DS. No flex items at all for either the 3DS or 3DS-XL.... Dan

send them a message maybe they have it available just not on ebay

I had same problem took out battery for ten seconds then replaced it...worked like a charm

Samsung galaxy note 3

all this helped ,our problem was to order a new camera power ribbon.it was bad from OPENING AN CLOCING IT ALOT FOR NO REASON

I have a 3DS XL. The problem is that does not power up at all with the battery. When connected with charger works ok.

It's not the battery since I have checked it with another 3DS XL. I replace the battery with the second's 3DS XL battery but still the same. Also it's battery was tested with the second 3DS XL and it's working well.

Something prevent the machine to use the battery power.

My brother accidentally peed on my 2ds and when i press the power button it turns on 4 like 3 seconds and won't turn on. The first time I turn it on i heard the whatever main screen note, but the screen was completely black. I need help anyone i downloaded some games on there that I'm not willing to stop playing

If you place a strip of double sided foam along the rear top edge of the day this will prevent the hinge from opening fully. Hey presto cheap fix.

its a problem with he top screen guys nintendo have openly revealed that its faulty. :( but! u can get it fixed by sending it to get fixed and they replace the top screen with a newer one or buy a new 3ds

oh ya forgot to mention IT FIXES ITSELF JUST BE &&^&^$^ PATIENT

i need help my nintendo is doing a poping noise i dont no what to do could you guys help me hers my email troy92545@yahoo.com

plese help me with my nintendo

I think I can help you with a piece of electric tape! Basically when you take the unit apart the first piece you take off to get to the motherboard (battery housing, L and R trigger housing) is the problem. There are two ribbon connectors on this piece for the L and R triggers. Well the R trigger is the problem. The ribbon connector comes in contact with the metal shield that it site near (bottom side of where the battery sits). Anyway you can see nintendo puts a little sticky rubber thing so the wire doesnt come into contact with the metal. Well sometimes this isnt enough and the ribbon connector still touches that metal shield. Simply add more electric tape to the metal so the ribbon connector doesnt touch it. I hope this clarifies it for you. If you need further assistance feel free to contact me b_hayes820@yahoo.com

This happened to me once so I went on a website and it showed me how to fix my 3DS/2DS. You have to use a screw driver to remove the front cover and then remove the battery inside and wait for at least 10 seconds and put the battery back and the cover back. Then turn it back on and it should work.

Source: Nintendo.com Tech Forms

I hope this works for you :-)

Jhon Rayles :-)

A lot of the time this is due to a small tear in one of the ribbon cables for the top screen. Replaced mine twice. Not an easy repair either. It powers on and try to cycle the top screen, doesn't get the "all clear/I'm working" signal from top screen and so powers off. Sometimes the device will work if your top panel is at just the right angle, but it doesn't last. The part is 11$ on ebay.

Its either the screen,camera, or speaker ribbon cables. Either they have come loose or have become damaged. Reseat/replace cables to fix. The 3ds checks all the hardware, and if something is not detected it will turn off/not turn on

You might have to open up the system and check the bridge cable This might work im gonna try it out later

I have a problem like this but when it happens its is angle back and it won't turn on so I have to play with it 90% an some times It clicks back in to place please help.

get it fix at game stop

I have the exact same problem that started about 3 days ago what it could mean is a mean except the only difference is one with your problem its mine top screen flashes a blue and white color instead of showing a screen makes me think it's possibly a ribbon cable

will the some taking-off-the-top-screen process work with me New Nintendo 3DS? I've had it for 5 days and it happened when I was in the middle of playing Super Mario World in the car. My mom said that I may have given it heat stroke due to the heat in the car, but I don't think that that was the problem

I was popping the screen when mine turned off, followed by the light/noise thing. When I put it into the position that it wasn't in, it works just fine, but if I straghten the screen out flat, it turns itself off. Try the position where it makes a 90 degrees angle or an other angle. That is what fixed mine.

I have the same problem. The degrees that your 3DS screens were on when this started is the degrees that you want to avoid, any position other than thatshould let this work.this is only a temporary fix though, so you should save up for a new one as there is no real cheap fix other than this one.

What your looking at is a damaged/torn ribbon. The only solution is to replace the broken ribbon. Check the three ribbons on the bottom left corner of your 3ds screen where the hinges are. Its most likely one of those are damaged.

I called Nintendo today and the speaker was telling me that the Repair men/women told her to tell me to Press and hold the Up on the 4 pointed control stick underneath the C-stick. While holding that also press and hold the A button, L & R button while holding them press the On button and this should activate your 3DS. It should help and i might not help they said so if it does work then your 3DS is fine if it doesn't work then your screwed.

Give it a try! Let me know if it works.

If It Pops, Plug the charger in.

Then Say "Shiskebab shuffling Spinning Circles!" Five times fast.

Then It SHOULD work.

Andrew will be eternally grateful.