web cam for iBook g4 1.33

Hey there. I tried to connect regular window's webcam , it didnt work. So tell me , please, do i need some special web cam or i do something wrong in connection?

thank you . Mike

Very few USB webcams work with Mac OSX. Some do, but it's experimental. Get a Firewire iSight camera used. It's been discontinued for years so check eBay. They seem to pop up a lot.

Most Helpful Answer

The Macally IceCam2 webcam works pretty well with my daughter's iBook G4 1.33Ghz under OSX 10.5.8. It's a USB 2.0 webcam so it won't work with Macs using the old USB 1.0 technology.

http://www.macally.com/en/product/Articl...

To use iChat (or any other video chating software), you need a FireWire 400 webcam (Preferably an Apple iSight) and a FireWire 400 port (Which your laptop should have). External USB webcams are not supported in Mac OS X.

thank you :)

Any webcam that is UVC (USB Video Compliant) should work. You will need to be using at least OS 10.4.9. Personally I use a Logitech, QuickCam Deluxe for Notebooks, and it works fine. But be carefully, older versions of the Deluxe model do not support UVC. Look for a model that is VISTA compliant, that should also be UVC compiant. You may want to pick up a copy of iGlasses, the software will give you a lot of control over the webcam image.

mike will be eternally grateful.