Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Is it possible to replace a Silicone Dome?

Hello Hope you guys are doing well.

Today I was cleaning under the keys of my Macbook Pro. It was all going so well until I got to the delete(backspace) key. I wiped down the dirt from the key when I realised the silicone dome was rip from the board.

The key still works but it feels extremely hard when I press down, also the contact area is very central which means I am forced to press directly in the centre.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace just the silicone dome from the macbook or must I get the entire keyboard replaced?

Thanks for your time.

=)

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try gluing it back on. if it don't work I guess I'll send it off to repair :)

I'm assuming you mean the clear little silicone/rubber nipple pieces shown in this photo?

Picture

If so then the answer is no, I've never come across these as standalone replacements. On older machines (PowerBooks, iBooks, etc) you could replace just the keyboard but now that it's part of the top case it's a much more expensive part.

Because of that I'll usually try to repair damaged or missing nipples. If it's torn off completely, but you still have the rubber piece, you can reattach it with a very light amount of glue. The main thing is that you want to make sure it's centered, which luckily the scissor assembly kinda helps with by acting as a guide.

Good luck!

If you do use glue to repair the dome, be sure to allow the adhesive to fully cure before reassembling your MBP. Every adhesive I'm familiar with that adheres to silicone will release volatiles during the curing process.

Usually this isn't an issue, but in the warm, confined space of the MBP, they could attack other parts. Follow the instructions for your adhesive and double (or even triple) the curing time, just to be sure.

O.K. If you look VERY closely at the offending item, you will note that the "base" of the nipple is sandwiched between two super-thin sheets of clear plastic which serve to trap the base of the nipple., the upper sheet having a "kitten's head" profile cut out of it through which the nipple protrudes. The trick is to separate the two sheets VERY carefully and feed the nipple through. Really tricky and fiddly but it can be done. Good luck.

Rizwaan Akhtar will be eternally grateful.