iPhone 4S

Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

iPhone 4s greyed out wifi

hello, the wifi of my iphone 4s is not working, when ios 5.1.1 installed it worked 1 month without any problem, then it began to not working, after updating to 6.0.1 it's completely greyed out, i even cant switch it on, and weird part is that its working after put it freezer for 3-4 minutes, i'm preparing myself to repair it, i want to know which part should i replace? Wifi antena flex cable or schema top of iphone next to camera?

i drained battery by turning on flash light in camera settings, it got hot and turned off itself then i charged it and voila WIFI is back!!! but i dont know how long it will last :(

by Elvin

hi again, i opened my iphone 4s, and i saw on battery connector it has one missing screw, i ordered screw pack from ebay for 0.99$, if it solve my wifi issue i will tell you i hope it will help :(

by Elvin

Elvin, "its working after put it freezer for 3-4 minutes" points toward a fractured or cold solder joint, in your case possibly around the WiFI chip. You could try a reflow on that. If it would be software related, the freezer would not make any difference.

by oldturkey03

i put 4s in freezer for 5 minutes and wifi came back and start working

by NADEEM

hey! i got the same case with y'all. you said "...after put it freezer for 3-4 minutes" you just put it on or you heated your iphone first? sorry for my bad english i hope y'all can understand.

by syavira u p

Most Helpful Answer

Just answered to a similar question. In your case, it seems the issue is caused by hardware failure (your Wi-Fi radio chip has malfunctioned). There is another thread with the same problem which features additional explanations here: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/13505...

Hi my guess is that your wifi chip is faulty, and to replace this, you need chipset level skill, and i dont think it is the wifi cable or antenna, hope this help cheers!!

thanks for answering :)

by Elvin

I opened the phone and identified the location of the wifi module and heated it up with a solder station heat gun, whilst protecting other areas of the phone with heat shields. This essentially reflowed the solder which connects the module to the main board. It fixed the problem for me. It is a similar problem that people experienced with the PS3 system, where the main CPU became unconnected due to poor solder joints.

My fix (posted earlier) worked for a couple of months then failed again. I now do the "hair drier down the headphone socket" method (phone face down on a non flammable surface, heat the headphone socket for about a minute). This tends to last between a few days or weeks. I will continue with this until the phone dies, then I'll go Android.

by airshod

Putting your device in a freezer really doesn't do anything other than cause some contraction of electrical components that may or may not fix a short. Problem with this is if it's temperature related, you'd have to have your phone froze all the time to work. The one thing you can do is take the back off and check that the antenna cable is connected all the way. But, even if it's not, your WiFi should not be grayed out. Have you tried to re-flash your phone on iTunes? Maybe try a complete factory restore and see if that helps.

I'm leaning towards Wee Anrul's answer that you have a faulty wifi chip.

Good luck!

Ken

i did all the things that possible, restore flash, update reset, there is no any way left...if my wifi chip is faulty, then it must not show wifi adress right? and i wonder if its wifi chip faulty can it be repaired?

by Elvin

I note that you have updated to iOS 6, this maybe the reason.. Google it, there are many cases of iphone4S wifi problems after 'upgrade' to iOS6 including greyed out wifi. Its not a hardware issue, don't repair it. Wait for the iOS6.1 (apparently iOS 6.0.1 doesn't solve the issue).

Best of Luck,

Saq

Edit: This might help (some weird solutions) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/431...

Does the device pick up a phone signal? If not, your problem could be related to your baseband. It controls your WiFi, Bluetooth and phone signal. What baseband are you on? Check by going to Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware.

firmware baseband is 3.0.04, phone has no problem except wifi. everything works fine, im using 3G data instead wifi.

by Elvin

It's best for you to either

A: Should you have a good knowledge of fixing electronics:

Replace the iPhone's logic board, but before, make sure the Wi-Fi antennas are seated correctly.

B: You have no experience or are scared

Get a new (i)Phone or send it to Apple should your iPhone be less than a year old, they will most likely fix it for free, under their Hardware Warranty Policy.

no, i think it makes no sense to replace logicboard, instead i can buy new iphone by selling this, and i cant send it to apple bcz i bought it from ebay. it has warranty till december the 29th

by Elvin

I had the same thing happen last week to my 2 DAY old iPhone 4S, it was a hardware issue, I brought it to the Genius Bar and was given a new phone (after talking to Applecare). If you are not near a Genius Bar I'd call Apple, Applecare said I didn't qualify for tech support (as this phone replaced 2 previous phones that ALL had issues) but you can request a phone call if it's a hardware issue.

there is nothing i can do :( thanks for answering

by Elvin

dfu mode

then restore from itunes end of

There is still one way that remains to fix it, when you were on IOS 5.1.1 and if you saved your S.H.S.H Blobs for IOS 5.1.1 with Tiny Umbrella, then as you are on IOS 6.0.1 you can downgrade without any errors on iTunes, after all, the problem of the greyed out wifi started with IOS 6.0.1 so why not downgrade back to IOS 5.1.1 which was basically the best OS update. Not only will this fix the "wifi greyed out" problem, but you will be able to downgrade back to IOS 5.1.1 whenever you want.

it works only for A4 processors, for iphone 4. iphone 4S cant be downgraded

by Elvin

Hoŵ do you downgrade to ios5.1.1?

by Eirian Allport

Eirian which type of device do you have?

by Hunzz

Buddy of mine called me with this same wifi issue on his 4S. I had no answers for him. He called me back about 30 minutes later and said that he did 4-5 hard resets in a row and it came back on. Seems like a iOS issue to me.

i did it 5 times :( nothing happened same bug remains...

by Elvin

Hey bud, this is a major IOS 6 bug that many people are going through. Apple will most likely be putting this problem #1 on their list because it has affected many iphone users. You are just going to have to be patient until IOS 6.1 comes out and the bug is fixed. If the bug is not fixed after IOS 6.1 is updated, then send your phone to Apple and they will most likely replace your phone or fix it. Apple has great customer service so I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced your phone for free. This issue is huge for Apple and they may lose many customers due to this issue. My advice is to just be patient until 6.1, but if that doesn't work, send your phone back and leave it in the hands of Apple's excellent customer service. Hope this helps.

-Alex

how can i send it? i looked website apple.com, in my country there is no choice to send it for repair or something, even i cant find an email adress of apple to complain about my problems, its ridiculous

by Elvin

Is there an apple store near you? because the can most likely take it there. what country do you live in?

by Alex Richards

i live in Azerbaijan, Baku, there is no official apple stores here, one more thing is that when its greyed out i cannot play games like GT Racing academy or Asphalt 7 Heat, i mean it influences apps crashing, and battery drains fast, but when i fix wifi temporarily putting it freezer im able to play games, battery performance is normal even if wifi is switchable but couldnt search any network, apps dont crash, i confused, in this situation, i think its software bug, but for some reason i think its hardware issue, confused

by Elvin

turn of your bluetooh

go to general>cellular> cellular data 'of' >

general> reset> reset netwaork setting...

try this one :-) i hope your wifi will work

no i tried it doesnt work, its hardware related

by Elvin

My last resort (which I thought was dumb when I read it) was the freezer trick. It actually worked! Put my iPhone in the freezer for 5-7 minutes and then restarted it and my wifi works now.

its harmful for your iphone, i dont recommend it, i do heat trick once in a month

by Elvin

I lost wifi while streaming music, and couldn't switch it back on. I tried everything written here. I talked with my carrier and made a genius bar appointment. Then it dawned on me....maybe it was the app that caused the problem. I deleted the app from the phone and did a hard reset. Whamooo! Wifi back up and running! I reinstalled the music app and everything is functioning as it was. Hope that helps and the freezer thing is a myth...

it will be back, its not about the app, i restored my iphone as new fresh, it didnt solve problem, the reason your wifi works is to do hard reset.

by Elvin

Have you try this way?

Continuously reset network settings for 5 times.

Settings-General-Reset-Reset Network Settings-Reboot

See more from the article of "How to fix WiFi grayed out in iPhone 4S".

That will not work man...that is a hardware fault...we need good Heat-Gun ,soldering, troubleshooting skills. than i can help anyone.

by Shobhit Saini

I just went and deleted a bunch of apps because I didnt know which one started the trouble but it did work. My wifi is back to normal.

dose the apps cause wifi problems ?

by rinchen

this is because the IOS6 software makes the phone run hotter then normal and screws up the soldering on the board for the wifi chip.

This happened to mine, I replaced the wifi antenna and everything the only thing that works is to heat the top right on the back on the phone where the chip is located with a hair dryer or heat gun for a couple of minutes.. Turn your phone back on and the wifi should be working again.

I gt problem wifi for my IPhone 4S. It cannot turn on & off the wifi. Means wifi faulty.

Now I online use by 3G instead wifi. What the problem for my IPhone and how to fix it back? Already reset all settings but also not working.

Karen, trying blasting the back of the phone with a hairdryer for a couple minutes and you should be able to turn it back on

by James

I restarted my iPhone 4s by holding the home button and the sleep button at the same time (roughly 3-5 seconds) until the screen went black . When it came back on I checked the settings and was able to access the Wi-Fi.

I hope that helps someone.

The WiFi chip usually just needs a reflow.

It's the top most chip to the right of the LCD connector. You should remove the black tape covering the top of the chip as well.

Just you need to be very careful and you need to insulate the rest of the components from heat.

If you are worried about reflowing a chip yourself, you could always ask a friend who is good at electronics or take into a repair shop that understands the process :)

i already know all of the tricks :) but none of them works permanently

by Elvin

@Elvin, so the reflow did not work?

by oldturkey03

it works but for a short period of time, for ex. 3-4 days ago i did reflow trick, at the moment it works but i know it will fail after 2-3 weeks

by Elvin

Warming with hairdryer then power on brougth WiFi back

I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 4s.

no wifi, comes back on after a couple of minutes in the fridge for only 5 minutes after doing that.

Also, the battery drains out pretty fast after this thing first happened.

I'm not a professional, so I have no idea how to solve it,

but maybe I can add some an insight to how this happened.

I was playing a game, playing music and charging the iPhone all at the same time.

Suddenly the phone got hotter, the game got stuck and the music stopped - the phone crashed. From that point on the problem started (after turning it off and then on).

Reading this post and considering what I had just wrote, it seems to me that the heat caused by what I was doing (adding the fact that it's August in the Middle East) messed up the wifi module or its connection to the main board.

My guess is that I'll need to replace the wifi module to fix it.

I only wonder why it causes the battery to drain fast.

Try these options

a) first try forgot network option.

b) If a) doesn't help, make sure enable WMM - WI-FI enabled as well as enable 'Turn Internet Access On' use option QoS Setup under router Home Page.

I am currently running MY IPHONE 4s on IOS 7.1.1 my wifi hasn't been working since i downloaded IOS 7 i have tried these things....

: Put it in the freezer for 5mins +

: Restarted IPhone

: Reset network settings

: Reset all settings

: Its got very hot in the sun today that did not work either....

Another thing is that the grey quick access tool bar which you slide up from the bottom the wifi logo is dark grey and when i press it, it goes white for a couple of seconds and then a message comes up saying wifi not available.....

Can anyone help me please?

I already did it it work now after a weak it happen again everyday If I put it in the freezer it come back than gone the wifi does not work

my wifi doesnt work on my i phone 4s i have tried putting it in the freezer for 5 mins + but then it comes on for about 2 minutes and then goes off again please help me sort this out.

Try to use a hair-drier. And put that near to the camera for 10 mins.

boom. it fixed~

Hi everyone as said some of the above answers, here is a more clearer explanation

on your iphone 4s motherboard just beside the lcd touch panel connector, left hand side there is a square black IC chip, use a heat gun on 250-270 degrees and in circular motion, heat the chip for about 10 sec, remember to do a circular motion so that you don't damage the chip, if it still don't work, try another 10-15 seconds, don't use a hair dryer, it is not hot enough to reach 250

Elvin will be eternally grateful.