1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

How can I recover data from my hardrive?

In mid august I bought the new Macbook air 13" Intel Core i5 for education use. And for the last 2 months I have been using it fulltime at the university. This means I have a lot of very emportent and irreplaceable notes and papers on my hard drive.

So here is the thing! Last week my Mac had a water damage in my computer bag and the screen is now burned out.. My insurance won't cover a new one and before I have the money, I need to recover all my files from my hard drive because I need them i school! I have looked for an adapter that I can use to connect the hard drive to another machine but because of the new product it is impossible to find!

Can anybody help me? I am desperate to find a way to get to my files!

From a hopefull Mac-user!

Frederik Jansen (Denmark)

Hi, Mac data loss is actually a hard task for many Mac users 'cause most of them think the Mac OS is a complicated computer operating system (At least I think it is complicated). Here are some tips you need to know after data loss happened.

1. If you meet the file loss situation, keep calm and stop using your computer to do any read or write operation until you find the way to recover the lost files because any wrong operation.

2. If you’ve lost a file, time is of the essence. As new files saved to Mac hard drive or storage devices, the original files gets overwritten. So do not use the drive or disk which your deleted files are stored before at all, until you have completed the scanning and recovery process.

3. The system crashed or the files loss situation happens occasionally, so remember build a backup for the files periodically is strongly needed.

4. If you meet the file loss situation again, stop using the Mac or storage device right now, use another computer to process the files recovery.

5. Remember this, no matter at the normal time or after files recovery, build a backup for the files periodically is the best method to protect your files from data loss situation.

Hi All,

Get rid of data loss trouble by using with easy and simple Mac File Recovery Software. With the help of this tool, user can recover or restore up to 250 GB hard drive data in a user friendly manner.

Frederik - Here's a possible solution OWC SSD Case. While it's noted to be for the older MBA I do think it will work. Give them a call or email to double check, they may have just not tested it yet.

Thanks for the answer Dan. I contacted them at OWC but they told me that they have not found a solution for the new Macbook Air. Sad, but thank you for your help!

Have you tried going to an Apple Store and see what they could do for you to salvage your data? I bet they'll say why didn't you back up. But, still give it a try. Look as sad as possible and tell them it's your data for your theses.

do you think it will work?

Look real bummed out, you never know, it's worth a try. Good Luck ;-}

There is a very good tutorial which defines the Mac data recovery solution for anyone who deleted their important data. Here you can easily learn how the data recovery software works for recovering all the deleted data. This recovery software especially works for the deleted data recovery and canrecover lost data for Mac in just few simple steps.

hello

you say your screen is burned out, but you don't say if your computer boots, either from the internal HD or from an internal or external DVD unit, using a Linux live-CD/DVD for instance

This would allow, connected to an external screen, rather than taking your hard drive out of the case, to copy the contents of your drive to an external USB hard disk ?

If you see leds blinking and hear some clicks when you turn your computer on, it means it probably boots.

Try to find and connect an external screen. There should be an external screen connector on one of the edges of your laptop (probably the rear one). Every laptop has such connector, and a control key to switch from internal screen to external, and to both of them, that's very useful for people performing Powerpoint (or equivalent) slide shows. I am not a Mac user, but the user manual probably says how to switch screens.

When you have your external screen, computer powered off, connect the screen, turn it on, and then turn/push on your MBA. If you get at last a display, you are more than half-way to your data :-)

How is that posible when I can see anything on the screen?

It would be amazing to find another way to get my data out!

Can you make me a how-to-do manual? Would be awesome!

Markorki - I'm sure Frederik's computer didn't survive getting wet and only had his display die.

As i say here:

IPad want turn on after rain damage

a computer can recover after a total bath (mine was dripping in any position when I took it from a 4 days drowned bag), if you do the right thing and are a bit lucky.

The trick here is getting the battery out as soon as possible so electrolysis doesn't happen corroding up the logic board or killing the components. Depending on the chemical makeup of the water you could still have issues so it's best to dry it out as soon as possible. Sure, in your case you could have been very lucky the battery was very low and the water was very clean.

Boot with a Linux rescue CD like Hiren's, that will repair partitions. I typically plug the drive into my linux system using a USB adapter.

SpinRite is an oldie but good, downside, it can take hours to even days, it does sector by sector recovery.

Lastly, this gets involved here is a link to some hard-core details. I would try the above first.

http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-data-r...

Prevention:

Last, I would defiantly sign up and install SpiderOak. It constantly backs up your selected files/folders to the cloud. I like SpiderOak, unlike things like carbonite, it encrypts your data BEFORE uploading to their cloud server, this prevents a man in the middle attack from intercepting unencrypted data.

Rule of thumb, computers can be easily replaced, your hard work and data cannot. Keep an off-site encrypted backup in case of fire, theft, etc.

CCS - Re-read Frederiks' problem: He got his system wet and he's using Mac OS-X not Mac OS-9 (to run SpinRite) or Linux. Your ideas which do have merit with Linux or Mac OS-9 OS's they won't help here. Besides his system is not running at all at this point. So his only option here is to remove the SSD (or HD) to salvage the data which should be OK.

Many of the stores have minimal capacity for small things like drive swaps now so taking this out should be something they would do for you. Then you can put it in a new enclosure and USB it to the new computer to get files off of it. Again, this assumes the drive works per the above post.

This is also a good reason to use Time Machine. Could simply boot new computer and restore all your items to the new computer from the TM backup.

See it at http://www.iphone-mac.com/recover-data-f...

loggertene - You should try reading the first part of the thread. That was the first thing recommended but... Apple uses a custom SSD and on top of that different series of systems use a different proprietary interface. So, you can't unplug it internally and then plug it into a USB port without some conversion. OWC offered a solution with the first gen SSD's just nothing yet for the 2nd gen SSD's. Remember he's a student, so he doesn't have the resources to replace his system or likely to have bought an external HD that quickly since he just got the system to do backups.

Hook up the drive to another Mac and then go into that drive and drag files from the drive to the Mac you are plugged into. Solved.

Its bit techi to do this but still by following the instruction you can achieve your purpose.

First you need to turn over your laptop and your will see like 2 or 3 different covers with screws. Check which screw has a hard drive icon. Just open the screw and use screw drivers to open your hard drive further. Once your detach it the check if its IDE or SATA. After this you need to get a SATA to USB or IDE to USB converter. You can order it online for few bucks or can also get it from some hardware shop. Once you get this converter then attache it with connector and then further with your PC via USB. In this way you would be able to manually back up all your data from all folders one by one.

David - While I do encourage more people to speak up you do need to do some basic research (or truly know the answer) before you answer. This system uses a solid state drive and is a proprietary design (Apple's). So your answer here just adds confusion. Besides this is a very old question I'm sure Frederik has long resolved his problem.

Thank you Dan - people seem to think the internet is about them personally.

if you do a system restore you shouldn't lose your data files like jpeg, or.doc Im sure all your stuff is in a folder somewhere.. do a search on the entire c:\drive for .jpeg or .doc and see if you recover your stuff.. The only way to lose data is if you do a format and complete reinstallation of your operating system.. not if u do a sys restore. About the office files.. if they won't open it's prob because your using an incompatible new application.. go to the old ones right click on them go to properties and in there you should be able to change the application that opens that document.. just change it to word doc or notepad if just need to view a file but if you need work on a file and edit it reinstall the original application you were using when it workedd fine. Hope that helps.

Time goes by and new options come along. OWC makes a couple of external SSD Blade enclosures. The Envoy and the Envoy Pro. The OWC Envoy OWCMAU3ENVOY12 USB 3.0 Enclosure for data transfer/continued externals should work for you. Newer machines use the Envoy Pro.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3E...

Look for these on eBay because people buy them, use them once for recovery and then sell them.

There are plenty of reasons for the lost or missing data in Mac system. However, to get out of the problems like above and recover your data quickly you should better use the backup created earlier. The backup file plays a very important role in restoring the lost data on Mac system. However, in case if you haven't created a backup file then in such case you need to use a very reliable and powerful Mac data recovery software.

To know more you might visit : http://www.undeletemac.org/easy-solution...

Very true! But, there are times when you just haven't had a chance to do it or in this case I'm sure Frederik is living on a thin dime being a university student (I remember my years wondering if I would have the money to eat or need to pay for a book I needed).

Usually, when we search for recovery applications, we find different tools different types of data. The utility I know is the best Mac data recovery tool and is all-in-one application for all types of data. You can try the Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software and recover almost everything right from documents to videos, in few seconds.

Data recovery is possible. There are lots of data recovery software are available from a range of $39 to $120. But to save money first decide what kind of data you want to recover if want to recover only multimedia files purchase a good photo recovery software. It would cost you $39. If want to recover other data then go for complete data recovery software. It would cost you $49 to $120.

Hey. You can try Gihosoft Free Photo Recovery. It can help you recover lost data from Mac in any scenarios.

More details: https://www.gihosoft.com/data-recovery/r...

Video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j56eqx2m...

what happens if after spilling water in MAC Air with precious unbacked up data, it turns black and won'tturn on. How can data be recovered in that case?

An external OWC Envoy enclosure.

Take the HDD out of the enclosure and plug directly into the main board. See if you can access it then.

It looks like your only route is professional data recovery like uFlysoft:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

For most average computer users, the thought that you can still recover files after formatting the hard drive is just impossible. Any data that wasn’t backed up is gone permanently. However, this is not always true. You can still retrieve files even after you have reformatted your hard drive. The key is just to act quickly.

File recovery from a formatted OS? Absolutely yes! You can restore data lost due to a reformatted hard drive. What you need to do is scan your computer with this specialized data recovery software and you can rescue the important files erased from your computer.

Looking to recover files from a damaged or formatted hard drive? Don’t panic, you may be able to recover that lost data. Simply scan your computer for free with the best file recovery software on the net. The sooner you act, the better your chances of recovery are.

Frederik Novak Jansen will be eternally grateful.