Model A1237 or A1304 / 1.6, 1.8, 1.86, or 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Single Beep No Boot. RAM issue?

The MacBook Air was was working perfectly fine when suddenly the screen froze and I had to do a force shutdown. After that when I tried to boot, I got a Single Beep with intervals of ~5 seconds. If I press and hold the power button, the light flashes continuously for 4 seconds and then it beeps.

The screen is blank and there is no processor or hard drive activity while it beeps.

I have tried the 'CMD+R+P' and press and hold 'D' boots without any success.

This is most likely a RAM issue but since the RAM is soldered on, I cannot reset it as most guides have mentioned.

This is what the motherboard looks like: http://imgur.com/a/ZYy1l#0

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Whatever happened with your computer? I am experiencing the same thing, and anticipating the worst.

Try to disconnect the battery if it is possible on the MacBook Air and press the power button for about 30 seconds with battery and power adapter being removed - this will reset all capacitors within the book and RAM is a kind of (very basically).

If this does not bring any success I think the RAM is bad.

Regards, Stone

Hey all if it is beeping it's the ram.

Remove the main board

Use a heat gun to heat up the ram on the back and the front

Let the board cool

Done! Worked for me

Yes--according to Apple one beep means no RAM installed. Link provided.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

This could be due to cracked solder balls on the memory chips. This is usually due to a combination of thermal cycling and the use of lead-free solder, which is more brittle than the previously used leaded solder. As the machine heats up and cools down, thermal expansion and contraction of components puts stress on these connections, eventually breaking them. This can happen over a period of years, and was the primary cause of failure of a lot of the earlier model xboxes (although in this case, it was due to the machines having inadequate cooling). In the case of Macbooks, it could be that these are being used in an environment where the cooling vents were being obstructed (i.e. sitting on one's lap), or possibly where the heatsink/fan had become clogged with dust. Anyway, it is possible to resurrect these machines by having the memory chips 'reflowed' (that is re-melting the solder connections between the memory and logic board); whilst not a permanent fix, it would be adequate to get you out of trouble, and enable you to recover any data that may be on the machine, and possibly even get a few years more use out of it before it fails again. There are various laptop repair workshops that will do this for you for a fee, although it's up to you to balance whether it's worth it for an aging machine or whether it would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a newer model. I can report that I have resurrected a MBA this way, and now keep it as a spare.

I have the same issue. DId you manage to fix your Macbook Air in the end?

fence2012 will be eternally grateful.