Second generation of Wi-Fi iPad, released on March 11, 2011. Model number A1395. Repair is difficult and will require heat.

iPad Works on it's Own - Like it's Possessed

Okay, well...

An iPad 2 came into the shop I work at with a digitizer problem, the iPad would open apps by itself and type by itself obnoxiously, not recognizing anywhere I touched the digitizer. So naturally, I replaced the digitizer thinking that would fix it.

And because of my luck, it didn't. It still had the same issue, so I replaced it with another touchscreen, and the issue was still present!

Eventually after a bit of research online I decided to do a hard reset, which was futile. And furthermore a complete factory restore on the iPad, which was as useful as the hard reset... it wasn't.

So after multiple digitizers and restores and resets, i cannot do this on my own. I need the help of ifixit users.

By the way, the local private school near the shop I work for; all of their students are required to have iPads. Shop I work for has a deal with the school that we have to fix all of their iPads. This is one of those iPads.

I'm not sure yet as to whether go to apple is an option right now as it's a school owned iPad. So ANY input on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did someone spray WD-40 or other oil product onto/into the device? Did it get wet?

As far as I know I don't believe so.

I don't see any signs of corrosion or oil/lubricant inside of the iPad.

Believe me, i've been looking at this motherboard under microscope, checking every solder, particularly the ones closest to the digitizer. I see no evidence of corrosion anywhere.

When I was in H.S. we had access to a Wang computer system (I think it was one of the first Intel computers out there at the time). It had a Morse paper punch printer/reader so one could save ones programs. As a prank we rewrote the IPL loader causing the system to go spastic every so often. Wang had the support contract and would send someone out to check out what was wrong. Boy did we have fun confusing the poor guy ;-} Is it possible you have a kid with the needed skills here pulling a fast one on you?

When you did the restore did you first back it up or did you do a full wipe of its software?

I restored the iPad back to factory completely, no backup. Full wipe of everything. So pretty sure there's not a student pullin a fast one on me haha.

OK - So we know the iOS is clean and the digitizer it's self must be OK as you replaced it with the same reaction.

So, the next area to check is the connector its self could be damaged? It's also possible you have a bad contact, try cleaning the ribbon cable using a pencil eraser by wiping carefully with the grain of the contacts. Then use a damp stick sponge with isopropyl alcohol to clean the eraser residue off. As far as the connector its self you might try flushing it with some alcohol and using a dental vacuum to suck up the waste (or have it drip away from the rest of the internals).

If these don't improve anything you have a bad logic board (cold solder joint).

Ok I know this is a bit late to respond since the OP probably did something about that ipad, but in anycase, I sort of found the solution, I believe it is something to do with the actual connector on the logic board that the digitizer plugs into. What the OP described is exactly how this ipad that I just received works. First thing I did was test it out and restore it to ios 7, still acting crazy, some zoom option trying to prompt me to enable it, but the touch is unresponsive. So I turned it off (power plus home buttons together for 10 seconds), got my handy blow dryer, suction cup from the shower hanger, lol, a tiny philips screwdriver, 12 pack of soft nylon guitar picks, rubber gloves, ceram wrap, and a can of compressed air. So I fired up the blow dryer on highest setting, ran it around the digitizer's frame, popped on a suction cup on the right side, lifted up the glass a bit to insert the first guitar pick, and swayed it a bit to place 2 more around it, slowly making my way around the digitizer and popping it off. Unscrewed and disconnected the LCD, wrapped it in ceram wrap to keep any dust particles off, wrapped the digitizer and unplugged it. Cleaned the digitizer contacts, replugged and turned back on, same story, tried unplugging and replugging again, same story again, eventually I lost hope and thought of either bringing it to apple store or if not then reselling it on ebay (boy do these sell in the worst possible conditions). Anyway, upon assempling it back together, I applied some heat to the digitizer again while putting pressure around the frame of the digitizer. Once finished, I let the ipad cool off, then turned it back on and to my surprise it started working again, startled i continued to set it up, but after a few minutes of use, the ghost touch came back and the screen would be rendered useless pretty fast, so thinking the heat may have something to do with it, i blow dried it again, and then pressed on the glued parts to ensure a tight bond. The ipad again started working smoothly with no glitch effects. after another 10 minutes the thing started hiccuping with the dreaded ghost again, so i picked it up and tried applying pressure asymetrically holding diagonal corners and trying to give them a slight twist in opposing directions, it seems to work now, hasn't glitched for a while, but my guess is this has to do with the digitizer connector on the logic board itself. I'll open it up if it starts glitching again and try the alcohol/dusting method to the digitizer plug. Maybe a bit pressure to the plug is necessary, some of these plugs are actually metal framed so if the contacts aren't fully touching the flex cable of the digitizer, the ghost touch will happen. I've had another ipad 2 that I bought off ebay which had cracked digitizer and dented corners. It did the same phantom/ghost touch thing, but not as severe, I do remember seeing the chassis a bit bent out of shape, so while bending/applying pressure at diagonal corners, I was able to allow proper electrical flow at the digitizer plug, which resulted in a fully functional digitizer. Honestly I don't understand why apple chooses to build ipads with slide in flex cables rather than clip on plugin like on the iphones and ipods, this eliminates the guesswork of whether the digitizer plug is bent or not, or if all the parts of the plug are touching onto the inside of the socket. Well hope this helps any of you. If my problem persists, I'll do a test on the digitizer socket, seems like it's the culprit of the whole thing.

Thank you very much

This problem happens due to aftermarket digitisers grounding with the aluminium body on the inside edges. Before you install a new digitiser, put electric tape on the inside where you see the ribbon cable. Do it all around the digitiser hiding the end of the glass bit to the digitiser bit. Then apply your sealing tapes and install. I have fixed many a problems with this solution. Same goes to iPad mini 1,2,3,4. Most of these issues are grounding.

Using Kaptan tape is preferred over electrical tape, as it is much thinner than electrical tape, and thus will not interfere with the digitizer sitting flush in the chassis of the device. ;)

It costs a bit more than electrical tape, but will provide a much more professional finish.

My iPad has been having this issue also and if this happened to you after s repair that means whoever fixed didn't put the 2 pieces of black tape back on the lcd which leaves 2 golden pieces in the open if u take the screen off and put them on this should fix the problem

my ipad comes on then goes off

Since when? What happened to it? What have you tried to fix it? Does it get recognized? If you need any help, you need to give way more information that what you gave.

It happen the same to my Ipad mini and I became crazy searching the answer. Annoying and frustrating! I allways thought it was a hacker, but it wasn't. Somehow I realized that all the problem started when I put a screen protector anti scratches on it. Since I removed it, problem fixed!!! Incredible, isn't it? It seems it affect the touch screen so it starts to type nonsense.

No hardware problems, no Apple Stores visits: just remove the crap to protect it and it will work again.

iPad mini has digitizer ghosting after screen replacement when the digitizer is not taped to prevent contact with frame.

I've had this same problem.....

If there I a screen protector take it off

Me too! Crappy Apple products

same i need some help my warranty has ended so i cant return this stupid ipad and i tried resetting it but it still controls itself so can anyone help me

If there is a screen protector take it off I had the same issue and that appears to have worked

I am having a problem where my ipad mini just glitches out and does it's own thing...I go on to an app such as snapchat and takes random photo and types random stuff, this has been happening for quite some time now.

I have tried reseting it a million times but doesn't work. Sometimes it just opens random apps and not the one I click on. My ipad is now disabled for 60mins because it glitches and puts random numbers for my password. Can anyone help or suggest anything??

My iPad s screen have a crack ? Then it started maybe virus??

Virus 1. Need Win cleaner 2. Buy something that connects to your iPad W usb under Dontknow Watch Erevy thing Apple pro. Find 6s assores. 3. Plug win cleaner. Under tad a. Get your virus out finshed

Hi, I have an iPad Air, I've had it since March 2015 and almost 2 years later the ghost touch problem occurs.

I have tried resetting the iPad with no success.

Thankfully it wasn't bad enough to put in my 5 digit+ Password and was also able to disable the password, So I can just press the home button to activate.

I tried deleting some apps and updating the device to find it was updated to the most recent software.

I went into Notes and it types by itself, Selects Apps by itself, Deletes Things and More.

I just went on a holiday and dreams came true, All those moments are captured on the iPad and aren't backed up to the iCloud or Google Drive.

I tried connecting the iPad Charger/Connector to the LapTop to try and save the holiday photos with no luck.

I have found some websites and have taken notes.

I will try and do everything the notes tells me to do.

If that fails, Could the iPad have a virus? Be getting old and on it's way out (It's Been Repaired Twice...) or just plain faulty and unexplained?

Please someone, If you where in my situation you'd want someone to help you, I am hoping someone can be as of assistance to me as I know I would want others to do the same to me.

Thank You & Good Day! :)

My problem is kinda similar but it's not the exact same. I changed my screen over a month ago because I droped my Ipad mini on the floor and completely shatered the screen. Since I repaired it on my own there had been no problems but now that ghost thing happens. It stills picks up where I touch it but it mostly does what I assume is double taps at random since it keeps opening pictures and zooming on them. It also opens apps at random but it doesn't do anything crazy like writing on its own. It mostly happens when I type on the keyboard but the ghost is now too annoying for me to ignore it. I'm slightly scared of reopening the screen like everyone else do because I don't think I have the tools anymore and it's too much of a presise job for me. I curently don't have any protection on the screen but I think I droped a screw in when I changed my screen so that might be the cause of my trouble.

Any help or tip is greatly appreciated.

I am also in this problem.

Score -1

I have this problem too :(

Score -1

Glenn will be eternally grateful.