The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Replacing hard drive, can I use software from 2009 MacBook Pro 15?

Like the title says, I am replacing the hard drive in a friends 2006 macbook 13" and she does not have the software that came with it, I have the software disc from my 2009 macbook pro 15" will work to format the hard drive? I am planning on upgrading it to snow leopard with the upgrade disc. Thanks!

Do as Dan suggests, it will save you a lot of time and head aches.

The best way is by using an external HD case (firewire connected) to house the new drive in then use the Apple Migration assistant application which you already have to copy over the current files over to the new HD.

Once you've done that you can test the drive out by making it the startup disk and restarting the system if it boots up as the first disk you know you have everything working and can then take the system apart to install the new drive in.

Whats best about this is you have a great backup of your OS, important apps & files using the external case to house the original HD in.

Make sure you have the correct drive and have upgraded the EFI firmware if needed EFI & SMC firmware updates.

Jason will be eternally grateful.