Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

iPhone shut down, only powers on when connected to charger

Hi there,

I often do iPhone repairs but i have a question about an iPhone that is showing strange behaviour.

This iPhone 4 just goes black all of a suden. I doenst repond to anything, its not working at all at that moment. Also a reset is not possible at that time.

It is not possible to power on the iPhone. Only when connected to a charger is can go on. When its on everything is working fine, shows up in iTunes etc.

I replaced the battery with a new one a did a software recovery. Still the problems accur. It doesnt seem to matter if the phone is connected to a charging source or not, it just shuts off random. When the phone is on everything is working normally.

Another thing that i noticed, when its shuts down you wont see the spinning circle that you would see when manually powering off the iPhone, it just goes dead inmediatly. When the phone is powered off manually, it will also go on the normal way. When it shuts down itself this is not working

The battery is working fine, the phone accepts and charges it just like normal.

Home & sleep button are working perfect.

Any ideas what to do with this *****

***UPDATE*****

The iPhone is now constantly fibrating, it was charging on my pc. Now it wont go on but keeps fibrating :S

When putting the iPhone in DFU mode and try to recover it gives errors. like '2005 and 106'

Any ideas? Any help would be apreciated

mine is doing the exact same thing at the moment. It charges, but when I unplug it, it just dies and goes black and wont turn on .

Hey guys I have this problem too! My iPhone 6 blacks out at random battery percentages. The only way i can turn it on is by plugging it to a charger.

Omg yes that happens to me out of nowhere it just turns off while am using the internet or something and i have an Iphone 6s and the only way it will stay on is by plugging it to the charger for a while whether is on full battery

I have an Iphone 6s and it does the same thing. Turns off randomly and has full battery and when i try to turn it on it shows that my phone has no battery and the only way it will turn on is by plugging it to the charger

My iphone 4s is doing this aswell! Im not quite sure why.Whenever i charge it, it seems to be working fine but when i take it out it instantly turns off.Does anyone know how to solve this issue because it is starting to get annoying.

Most Helpful Answer

This sounds like you got water or damaged the Doc connector where the charger plugs into so its not charging the battery so when you unplug it just dies straight away. replace the doc connector and take it from there as the battery is next in line! i got one for a fiver on ebay!!!

i dont think this causes the problem. The phone is perfectly working without beeing connected to a charger. It only needs it to power on. The battery is charging. I had a new half full batery connected to the phone. After charging is shows up as 100%.

Also when the phone turned itself off i cant power it on. When you power it off manually the normal way it is able to go on without the need of a charger

Dont think this is the case, the phone will charge, and can operate without beeing connected the charger. But this keeps getting more strange, i wanted to power on the phone but it displayed the battery empty. So i connected to the charger for a few hours. Now the outside part of the screen is white and is flashing really fast. Like if the LCD is broken. When i connected it to the charger it was working fine, after two hours this is the result.....

The battery terminal may be damaged therefore the battery cannot charge nor supply the phone with power

but when the power cable is plugged in it powers the phone directly.

You can check if this is the case by removing the battery and connecting the charger then if the phone powers on this idea should be correct.

Kind regards

Brad

My son dropped my phone in the toilet. It was in there around 10-15 seconds. I immediately dried it out the best I could with a paper towel, then took out the SIM card slot and placed it in rice for around 24 hours. I hen started using it, and after that it worked just fine, except the Touch ID. The next day the Touch ID started working and I turned it on. Worked fine. Until I started to charge it. I left it alone to charge for an hour, after I disconnected it from the charger, it worked for a few minutes, and at 96%, it powered off and displayed that it was dead and needed charged. Every time it's plugged in it works. I read to turn off the Touch ID as it can cause that, so I did, and it still is doing it. But my phone worked just fine when I first started using it. Idk what to do... I don't have a computer to hook up iTunes.. HELP!!! Do I have to get a new battery? I don't know how to even open the phone or replace the battery.. any suggestions aside replacing the battery or iTunes..?

hi i have an iphone 6 plus that only stayed on with charging wire even though the battery was showing as almost full . When i opened the phone the battery seemed to have expanded slightly (damaged most likely). Replaced the battery for a new one and it is now fine.

Try to clean the contact between the battery and the phone, press hard on that contact and power the phone with charger disconnected. if it powers on you can install a small plastic bumper on top of the contact and than n force the cover on it will crate some Pressure .

good luck

Yes me to I think it's a water damage when I went to the beach the phone was in the water soles maybe it's the water damage

i think you need to replace the battery connector.But you need to know about microsoldering.iFixit has a video series about microsoldering.They have a video that they replaced the iphone 4s battery connector.But with the iphone 4 the process is almost identical.

I charge my phone and when it gets fully charged I unplug it and about five mintues later it goes black and shows the battery in the red and then I can't do anything with it.I don't know what to do to fix it.

ITS the Battery...the reason why it's randomly turn off...the reason your having iTunes error is because when the phone goes to restart itself it will not because the battery giving you this error and battery's are real tricky almost everyone who sells battery's say oem or original but even Apple has a lot of complains about battery's...lithium battery's are out of date and Easley breakable but ohhh well there cheap to make!

Mine has the same issue, but the only difference is that I can power it off normally, it also shows the spinning circle but won't power on again. When you press the power on button, it will instead heat up, consumes the battery to 0% and displays a warning to charge. When you plug in the charger, it will charge for the required time of 5 or 6 minutes the powers on with a smoky screen that clears while it's kind of wiggling, after some hours, it stabilizes and works normally. will What could be the problem?

If you take Ito the Apple Store they will just give you a new iPhone but make sure your phone is backed up so you can just transfer everything to the new iPhone

Try a new battery. I installed a new battery that was defective. I replaced it with another new one and it worked.

I dropped my phone in water about 1 & 1/2 ago but it never broke. then about 4 days ago i got the new ios 10 update. Today my phone started to shut off at about 90% ect when its not even dying. Soon as i plug it into the charger it turns on. when this first started happening i wasnt able to go on my phone at all unless its plugged into a charger. now it just shuts off at random moments and says it needs to be charged. its also resets itself about 5 times every time it shuts off. its gotten better but its still not working, please help. i get my upgrade in a few weeks but until then someone please help me fix it

My phine has never been wet so whats the problem with my phone it keep shutting off all by its self every time I take it off the charger and will not come back on and stay on until I plug it back into the charger so some one please help me I need my phone

Probably there's a loose battery connection. I have to reconnect the flex cable on mine.

I have iphone6 it is working perfect and can get turnoff normal but i cant turned on but for that i need connect charger cable to turn on . The battry is full charged

I have iphone 5 , it can't charge and cant show a sign that the charger is connected and battery is charging on fone screen. the fone is only picking 2-3 % and then it shuts down. i put the charger and it shows a red battery bar then later it switches on, came back with 2-3 % again, it cant charge and switches of again. what can be the problem?

Hi my iPhone shuts down randomly and only works when it's plugged in. why?

My iPhone 6 is having a similar problem. Mine turns itself off all the time and the only way I can keep it from turning off is to keep it connected to the charger. Although, sometimes on the charger it turns itself off too. There is no spinning circle when it turns off. It's just goes black. Sometimes it turns itself back on, sometimes it does not. I also have to leave mine connected to power because without it my battery drains fast. Currently I'm at 16% and I have had it plugged in all day long. My battery never goes higher than 16%. It used to charge to 41% but when it dropped so fast and I finally was able to plug it in again, it never went higher than the 16% again. I don't know if it's just my battery or what but it's ridiculous and I need answers.

I have the same problem with my iPhone6. The charger needs to be connected for to work normally. Without the charger connected, it goes off even if the battery is on 100%. What do I do?

Jordy will be eternally grateful.