Replaced Parts, Now Won't Power Up Except For Fans
Alright, this is for a late 2006 15" Macbook Pro A1211 / MA609LL. This is my fiancee's laptop so this makes the situation all the worse...
Needed to replace the fans on the computer, decided while I was in there I would also reapply some new thermal paste to the CPU / GPU / Northbridge because the computer has been running really hot for a long time, like 180 degrees hot (was running a temperature monitor to get an exact number). Now I'm a sys admin for a living, so I know my way around a computer and have built my own computers for over a decade. So please feel free to get technical, because my honor is on the line with my girl!
Ordered left and right fan, as well as battery connector cable from ifixit initially. Power adapter is only a year old, and I just replaced the battery (old battery wasn't holding a charge which is why I ordered the battery connector cable just in case). I followed the guides on iFixit
and took it apart down to the heat sink, put it back together and it wouldn't turn on. What I learned after careful review is that by not removing the left speaker over the left I/O board, before I installed the battery connector cable, I broke a pin. But I didn't realize this before connecting the power adapter back to the computer, and putting the battery back in and trying to turn on the computer numerous times, and putting the old battery connector cable back in thinking I might have gotten a defective cable - all to no avail.
So, now I order a left I/O board. It finally came today. My fiancee has been without a computer all week (my initial tear down occurred last weekend), using my laptop instead, but of course her data is on this thing. So, I carefully, very carefully, replace the Left I/O board, or the MagSafe DC Sound board with the ExpressCard slot. Apply new Kapton tape as I go. After I screw everything down, and I haven't yet put on the keyboard with the power button, I connect the power adapter to the MagSafe board, and the light does NOT turn on at all. I hope that that's because something still needs to be connected.
Now completely re-assembled, as soon as I put the battery in, the fans start spinning. This is BEFORE I've touched the power button. I hit the power button and nothing. I connect the power adapter to the new MagSafe DC Sound board and again, no light comes on, either green or amber. This is further than I got with the board that I broke the pin on, but still a far cry from even turning on. The only way to make the fans stop spinning is to physically remove the battery. It doesn't have a lot of life left as I write this, down to its last 20%.
I tried resetting SMC (held down power button for 5 sec w/o battery or power adapter connected), from what I've read, you can't reset the PRAM until you can get the #*&$ thing to turn on.
So, what is wrong? I was really careful, and definitely didn't break any pins on the motherboard with the CPU / GPU / Northbridge, it would just totally deflate me if I just blew her entire computer. I feel like not all hope is lost because the fans are spinning when power is coming from the battery, but the lack of a light on the power adapter is disconcerting. Did I get a bad left I/O board? I'm seriously pulling my hair out on this, and she is rightfully !^&&*^ off about the situation. Thank you in advance for any and all help!
seriously?! No answers in two days??? C'mon guys, help me out here!
As an aside, I also wanted to mention that the laptop is now literally 50 DEGREES COOLER after cleaning off the clusterf**k of a thermal paste job that apple originally did on the motherboard. I am now averaging temps between 129 and 134 degrees F! So, you know, do THAT...
Is this a good question?