1

Austin
105

How to guide for video card replacement?

In my Macbook Pro, the video card/graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Yesterday evening, Call of Duty: Black Ops was released on the Mac App Store, and I, being a gamer, wanted to purchase it. Being the logical person I am, I read the description, and found that they recommend that people with NVIDIA chipsets not buy the game. I'm not certain, but I believe they may be working on a patch, but if not, is there a way to upgrade from my NVIDIA to a Radeon? Thanks in advance!

Edited by: Austin ( )

3

XnriquX

The graphics chip is built into the logic board like most laptops out there not just Apples. Check out these pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks like: Logic Board inside your MacBook Pro

So if you were to upgrade you would have to replace the entire logic board and it would be expensive. Not that it matters because I don't believe any MacBook Pro's with a similar logic board layout were ever released with Radeon graphics, but I could be wrong, i am not 100% on that.

Best advice I could give you is wait for the patch or try running the game as is and just watch out for temperatures. Nvidia graphics chips are notorious for having cheap soldering that melts when overheated.

Good luck!!

Well thanks for the info! I assumed it was built in, but I just thought that since the iMac can be upgraded that the MacBook Pro could too. I looked into the new logic board idea, but I couldn't find any that fit and had the graphics card needed. Thanks nonetheless! :)

Austin,