iMac Intel 27" EMC 2429

Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

iMac 27 midle 2011 i5 upgrade cpu for i7

Hello, Is it possible to change the CPU imac 12,2 27" i5 3.1 GHz EMC model 2429 for i7 2600? regards

IT SS POSSIBLE!!!! OK I7 2600 ON MY IMAC EMC 2429

Kinda, sorta - You can only use an i7 core Apple offers as a OEM upgrade or you'll have firmware problems. For example, an iMac "Core i7" 3.4 27-Inch Aluminum (Mid-2011) is technically a "configure-to-order" configuration of the iMac "Core i5" 3.1 27-Inch Aluminum (Mid-2011).

IMHO you won't save much, if any, money trying to do this configuration on your own. You don't have access to cheap CPU Apple does, you'll have to add in the cost of in your time, and if needed tools. Then ADDING the price of the i7 chip you decide to use. You're essentially buying an i5 chip that will net you a few dollars used (like driving a new car off the lot, it depreciates as soon as it hits the road).

Buy what you need to get the job done. Buy the best possible combination of MAXed RAM and CPU/HD your budget can stand. Upgrade it/replace it when it no longer works! The base CPU in 2 years will far outperform the top of the line of today, so save the money that one would pour into the upgrades in order to buy brand new down the line.

If you don't need a Ferrari, it would be much wiser to buy a new Camaro every two years than to buy a Spark and try to turn it into a Corvette and use it for 5. But, if you just want the experience to create a unique iMac, knock yourself out.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

hello, my question is simply, can change the i5 for i7 cpu? Regards

by bucometa

I think Machead answered it - Bottom line - Yes, but you need to use the correct version, won't buy you that much as far as performance given the risk and costs in doing it. Best to buy the correct sized system to start with Vs upgrading the CPU given the lifespan of your system.

by Dan

As for my opinion I agree fully with Machead. Don't waste your money given the risk of the system not working after your do this level of brain surgery. This is especially true if you haven't done a lot of repairs on these systems.

by Dan

I've already did this , I have a Mid 2011 27" 3.1 i5 ( intel 2400 ) I have upgraded it to i7 3.4 (intel 2600) it was same as doing so in 2010 models just some of the plugs are different you can follow the dual hard drive installation guid till you take out the mainboard then change the cpu and put them back

Goli, can you tell me where did you got the i7 3.4 (intel 2600)? thanks, Serban

by serban

OK, I am trying again - Goli, could you tell me where did you got the 3,4Ghz processor for this upgrade?

by serban

bucometa will be eternally grateful.