MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009

Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Replacing fan in MacBook Unibody - do I need thermal paste/compound?

The fan on my girlfriend's 13" Macbook unibody is all but dead (started making A LOT of noise and now is all but silent and CPU temperatures have started shooting sky high). I ordered the correct part from iFixit. However neither the repair guide nor the description of the part mentions anything about thermal paste/thermal pads/CPU grease/etc. Does it come with the part, or will I need to obtain some of my own? If so, I happen to have some Arctic Silver left over from when I last upgraded my HTPC; would that work?

Most Helpful Answer

fans dont use paste, just heat sink & cpu

Doh... sorry... I'm used to "fan" meaning "fan + heatsink" a la PC CPU fans. I received the part today and now I see what you mean. It's just the fan, period. Presumably there is a separate heatsink component that is already in there that I don't need to replace (although blowing the dust and crud out of it would probably be a good idea).

by dburr

dburr will be eternally grateful.