iPhone 4S

Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

iPhone 4s Screws losing 5-point pentalobe

i recently tried to replace my front glass panel and came to a major hault. i made the mistake of not buying your kit and instead bought a cheap screwdriver which resulted in one of the screws to lose its 5 point pentalobe turning it into a stripped screw head. i am now stuck with a screw i cannot remove in order to replace my front glass panel, is there any tool you would recommend beause ive searched but nothing seems to be thin or strong enough to grasp the screw.

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/Answers.

by iRobot

Most Helpful Answer

First, I would take a look at this list of the 12 best ways to remove stripped screws, to see if anything there can help (the rubber band trick is surprisingly effective).

Also, if the screw isn't stripped too badly, you might get lucky and still be able to get it out with one of our Pentalobe Screwdrivers. Since you're going to have to replace the broken screw anyways, it you might try the driver in our iPhone 4/4S Liberation Kit, which comes with two Phillips screws to replace those pentalobe screws for good.

As a last suggestion, iFixit also has a Precision Screw Extraction Kit that should be able to pull out the screw giving you trouble.

Sean Padilla will be eternally grateful.