1

Daniel
25

Does cutting the standard sized sim card works?

I have a question.

Is it possible to cut the standard size simcard / micro sim down to the nano sized sim?

I heard that it is slightly thinner, but I have no idea how significant that is.

2

apurvapatel10
25

I have tried

and it works fine

I cut the simcard with the doctors sizers and it is working fine.

AP

1

Loc Nguyen
13

it's is cuttable, I've successfully cut mine, and it wasn't hard at all, just print this out and follow the guide. Trust me, it's really simple.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3861236/iHackin...

Edited by: Loc Nguyen ( )

0

Mansoor
1

As of now its not possible as nano sim is thinner and smaller than micro sim, but we shall see some cutters to convert normal sims to nano sims and hopefully micro sims to nano sims as well soon enough. :)

0

jimenezser

Don't cut it, try to extract the little golden card from a SIM/MicroSIM card

0

Eddo
1

It seems to be possible, at least a lot of customers of my provider congstar(germany) report that it did work for them (http://www.facebook.com/congstar), even without using sand paper to make the sim card thinner. The "golden card" you see are simply the contacts of the much smaller chip ( see http://de.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti...), so it's ok to lose some of that contact area, which is what you have to do in order to make your sim card match the nano dimensions. There are already several templates and how-tos available. Just google it and try it -- at your own risk.

PS: Many providers anounced that they will make nano sims available very soon, so you might want to contact your provider and wait a few weeks :-)

0

David
1

I did it on my 4s sim. Works great. I haven't got lte to show up just 4g maybe I need a new card.

0

Jon
1

In Australia I have cut down several regular sims down to nano size to fit in the iPhone 5 with no issues and have them working in the iPhone 5 (I do it as a free service)

It is important however to note the following:

1. There are 2 types of sim cards, only the newer smaller one is compatible AFAIK, although I have not been willing to risk cutting down the old one (there is a significant difference in contact area size if you wish to tell the difference). If you would like me to identify them for you then email me the pic.

2. If you cut down a sim card and don't do it properly, and on the very unlikely chance that it gets stuck, then apple will not cover it under warranty (its classed as user damage)

If anyone wants a sim card cut, I do it as a free service.

Jon

itaffinity.com

Edit: Don't waste your time with sandpaper, it only makes a mess. Using you fingernail or a razor blade to clean off any burrs is more than enough. YOU DO NOT NEED TO MAKE IT THINNER TO WORK!

Edited by: Jon ( )

0

Matt Beard
1

GiffGaff have posted info on how to do it.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Cu...

0

Tommyaa
1

It's easy to cut, I just looked at a nano smi it cut so it looked like it, and then I used a bit of sand paper to make it a litte thinner, works great

0

Greg
1

I had a regular SIM which I cut down to mini size for my iPhone 4, and now I cut it down even more for my new iPhone 5, and it works great.

I did have to shake the phone a bit after putting it in to get it to detect it, but it worked after that. Also make sure you're putting it in the right way (cutting the correct corner, not the opposite one).

0

Marc Twibill
1

If you prefer to have this done for you, try www.cutmysim.net or www.resizemysim.com for a cheap but professional job

0

Michelle Carine
1

Hey Jo!

Very nice Lecture!

Have you tried with CDMA?

Thanks a lot!

0

Charles
1

if you cut your standard Sim card would it work on iphone 5 after its cut the size it need to be

0

Charles
1

if you cut your standard sim would it work on iphone 5 after you cut the size you need to be

0

Bev
1

If you have cut your sim card down and have to send it in for warranty work make sure you take the sim out as the warranty is void if they see it. Just had a call about this and was told "No cutting of sim cards" which is something I've been doing forever!

0

Cosimo Prideaux
1

I want to cut my sim card(micro to nano), but I've seen video where they cut over the gold part and I know i have to do the same. If I cut the edges of the gold part, will this break my SIM card

Thanks In advance

0

Bev
1

I have been cutting SIM cards for years but now with different thicknesses it can really do a number on your phone. After a while it will stop reading the sim (or any sim you put in) and say no SIM card. Warranty is definitely void if they find out you had a cut down one in the phone! For $10 get a new one!!