PlayStation 3

The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

Can I change hard drives from one playstation to another

I have a playstation 3 that will not read the disks, so I have purchased another ps3 just like the one I have. Can i take the hard drive out of the first one and put it in the second one so I don't lose all my game data

Most Helpful Answer

Upgrade to the newest firmware on both PS3s and there will be a new utility in the settings that will allow you to copy all of your files from one PS3 to the other using an ethernet cable (you can even transfer copy protected files and game saves that don't normally allow copying).

You cannot just remove a hard drive from one PS3 and put it in another and expect all information to transfer over. You will have to format the drive.

Since the systems are hardware identicle, there should be no problem swaping a hard drive from one PS3 to another, if it were to be used in a PC, or other device it would need to be formatted, but it should be able to be swaped without a problem, just like Xbox 360 Drives.

by Chris Green

If you have the new firmware update 3,56 it isnt possibel to swap / upgrade harddrive in a ps3.. I hope Sony soon will com with a new update to fix this bug - so my PS3 can come up and running again.

I am not aware of the bug in the 3.56 firmware update.

by Dark Sakul

Yes, depending on whether you have a slim, or not, the procedure is different, but you should have no problem with compatibility. I don't have a PS3, so I'm not sure how you remove the slim's hard drive, but I have worked on "Fat" PS3's and the hard drive is on the side, just pop off the cover, and remove one screw, then the drive.

As Shane said, it's physically possible to take the drive out of one PS3 and into another but it won't preserve all your data. Use the transfer utility, it works quite well and if you've only got a few things then it won't take too long.

Another way, depending on what you want to save, is to backup your saved games etc to a USB hard drive and then copy them to the new PS3. You can't copy everything, but by-and-large you can copy everything you can't replace by downloading again.

You could back up your data though the backup utility in the PS3 system's menu. Get a USb flash drive, or if needed a USB external USB drive to back up your system settings, game data and game saves.

As for any downloadable content, any games or media purchase from the Play Station Store can be re downloaded with out an additional charge.

playstation 3 can one hard drive of 80g can be switch to a 40g

Is it possible to put a 500gb hdd from a super slom ps3 into a ps3 fat?

P.s sorry if its not a answear as i dont know how to post the question

by leewoodham

Yes, but the PS3 will want to reformat the drive before you can continue, loosing all your data inside.

by Dark Sakul

Why i can't put games into ps3 with an external hard driver i also changed to fat32 system

Will a ps2 hard drive fit in a ps3

I just got this hard drive an am wondering if it will work with my far ps3. I understand that I will have to format the new hard drive and download the firmware update in order for the Playstation to recognize the system but I don't know if my hard drive will fit my system or not. Can someone please tell me if the 500GB PS3 Super Slim (CECH-400x) Hard Drive + FREE HDD Mounting Kit Bracket will work with my system or not. Thank you

Teena will be eternally grateful.