DIY guides for many household repairs, ranging from furniture to plumbing solutions.

Light works on Electric Fireplace, but heat will not go on. Why?

Electric fireplace insert has two sections that blow heat. I noticed that one did not work, and it became louder. I let it run for quite a while, but one day noticed that the plug was hot as blazes and the wall behind the plug was also hot. In fear of burning my house down, I unplugged it and am scared to use it. Can I fix it. They don't sell inserts for those things ANYWHERE.

Matt, what may help is to post lots of images. Model numbers and serial numbers are also a good help. the inserts usually consist of heating elements and fans, so that where I would start. have you disassembled any part of it yet? The plug and plate probably get hot because the insert is drawing a higher amperage. Keep it unplugged until it is fixed.

Matt, clean the filter and your blower (fan) make sure you remove all dust and debris. It sounds as if your blower is not working right.

I will try that. Thanks.

Matt will be eternally grateful.