Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Swap late 2008 Black MacBook logic board to Mid 2009 logic board?

Okay so heres the question I want to do. I have the last batch of Polycarbonate Black MacBooks released its the late 2008 Penryn Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz logic board with the Intel GMA X3100 Graphics, RIGHT before they were discontinued. So I want to swap out that logic board for the new Mid 2009 Penryn 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Graphics logic board found in the last Polycarbonate White MacBook before the uni-body plastic redesign. Both Models A1181. Now apart from the heatsink being the only difference and I will buy the new heatsink for the Mid 2009 board is there anything else that I need or this cannot be swapped out? Before I buy the parts?

Is there a guide for this swap?

can i do the same with a late 2007 santa rosa macbook?

I know this doesnt help but what are you planning on doing with the old logic board?

There is no step-by-step guide that I know of, however if you are willing to capture the photos necessary to make one, I will help guide you through the process that I went through to make it work.

I don't have a 2009 macbook/logic board yet. Looking for a cheap one, but then i would do the swap with my black early 2008. Thx. :)

Not sure what you consider cheap, but I see several on eBay for around $50. Don't forget that you'll need to modify your bottom case (if you want it to be black, which is really the whole point of this exercise), as well as purchase the parts listed in the answer above (at least heatsink, optidrive cable, and sata optidrive). I'd honestly recommend to save the hassle of parts purchases and try to find a fully working 'macbook 2.13' on ebay and perform the swap that way, as you can then flip the white macbook (with older hardware) to craigslist for hopefully around the price that you bought it.

It is a complete Macbook i'm looking for, for being able to do a swap and sell the old parts combined as a complete Macbook.

The main thing i'm worrying about is the bottom case modification. How much do i actually need to modify?

I did the dual harddrive kit and i thought that was advanced. This is going to be a big operation, if i'm doing it. :D

It's definitely doable! Here are the changes that need to be made:

• The lower case in the Early/Mid 2009 version has slightly different screw posts for the logic board and heat sink. Therefore, you'd need to use the Early/Mid 2009 lower case with the new logic board.
  • The heat sink, as you know, is different.
  • The optical drive cable has a different connection both to the logic board and to the optical drive (in the Early and Mid 2009 models, the optical drive has a SATA-type connector). Therefore, you'd need a new optical drive cable and optical drive.
  • Also, for completion's sake, the Bluetooth was upgraded to 2.1, but that probably doesn't matter enough to change it.

Of course, you could always choose to go without an optical drive, but the lower case is a necessity (because MacBooks ground through metal sheets on the lower case, and the heat sink will not screw down without the new case).

Good luck!

Okay, Thank you but I had one more question to add on, what about the EARLY 2009 logic board? the 2.0GHz will that fit into my black bottom case or do I still need a new bottom case?

Still need a new bottom case. The changes they made began in Early 2009 and carried over to the Mid 2009. Sorry about that!

Great answer +

I have done just this very swap. I started with

- a stock MacBook4,1 (Early 2008 Black MacBook with T8300 2.4GHz Core2Duo, PATA SuperDrive, CSR Bluetooth 2.0), 250GB running 10.6 (for Rosetta) and 10.7

- a stock MacBook5,2 (Mid 2009 White MacBook with P7450 2.13GHz Core2Duo, SATA SuperDrive, Broadcom Bluetooth 2.1), 160GB running 10.8 and 10.9 Developer Preview

In the process of swapping motherboards, I removed two of the peg risers (or posts) from each bottom case and used them (along with the heatsink screws) to attach the heatsinks to the motherboards. Observant individuals will notice that this blocks one of the 3mm motherboard screws, and that there are actually 3 peg risers that are not aligned with each other. This left me with 2 screws left over. I could have removed the third peg riser, but I felt this was not necessary and left it alone. I also switched bluetooth cards, as the Mid 2009 came with bluetooth 2.1 support with better battery life, moved the PRAM battery from black case to white case, and I swapped the SATA SuperDrive for a Blu-Ray rewritable drive and replaced the 160GB hard drive with a 1TB.

After this process and upgrades, I ended with:

- a Black MacBook with P7450 2.13GHz (and its nVidia GeForce9400M), SATA Blu-Ray rewriter, Broadcom Bluetooth 2.1, 1TB running 10.6 and 10.9

- a White MacBook with T8300 2.4GHz (and its Intel X3100), PATA SuperDrive, CSR Bluetooth 2.0, 250GB running 10.6 and 10.7

And thanks to robignorant's Can I replace a regular white MacBook upper-case with multi-touch?, I also now have a multitouch trackpad in my BlackBook also!

Actually if you are looking to upgrade your 2007 Macbook from Lion 10.7 to get better apps, like iCloud, imessage, and all the other nice apps. All that needs to be done is upgrade the Ram to 4GB and the HD to whatever pleases you. Make sure that your GPU is GMA X3100, this is your bare min inorder to complete this upgrade. The Core Duo is not acceptable. Download MacPostFactor and add your Mountain Lion iTunes upgrade to your App's section on the Mac. Once your ML is added to your apps, Run MacPostFactor and the program will find the upgrade of ML and Automaticlly perform the upgrade itself. Now you are running 10.8.4 and you have all of the new bells and whistles that came out on 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11

Curiosity killing my cat, how did you mount the posts? I'd like to perform this same swap.

Instead of screwing the motherboard into the bottom case first and then screwing the heatsink into the bottom case through the motherboard, I first screwed the heatsink through the motherboard into the 2 peg risers that I had cut off of the bottom case, then placed the combo into the bottom case and screwed in the rest. This blocks one of the motherboard screws, and since I only cut 2 instead of all 3 mis-aligned peg risers, I had one of the heatsink screws left over also.

I just did this swap a few days ago. It was easier than I thought it would be. I cut the lower peg riser out of the bottom case and screwed the heatsink to it. So I only have the top heatsink post and the bottom heatsink post screwed in. I ended up with two screws left over. And nothing I did blocked the logic board screw holes. Once I screwed in the logic board to the case, that answered my own question.

there should be several temperature sensors on every macbook. download temperature monitor to see!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12381/t...

Thanks for the help. I will start looking at cheap Mid 2009's. I guess it will be clear which posts I need to remove when I'm trying to swap?

Yeah I can might as well upgrade the bluetooth too, even though I never use it. Will it boot if I don't install any bluetooth at all?

I have a SATA->SATA Harddrive kit somewhere (bought by mistake before I knew about the PATA connection) so that is not a problem. :)

I'm performing the same swap. One questione: Is the 2013 MacBook Pro Optical Drive usable? I tried to use a drive from a Early 2009 Mac mini but the unity's height is different. The mini's drive is bigger than the MacBook one. Thanks!

As far as I can tell, the 2009 Mac Mini has a 12.7mm optical drive where the MacBooks require a 9mm optical drive.

Yeah the newer optical drives are too small to fit. The only ones that work are the early or mid 2009 a1181 drives.

I performed the same swap too! It was with a 2006 Macbook 1,1 black and 2009 Macbook 5,2 white. Had to do some soldering to get that to work.

I just did this, for some reason the 3rd smaller screw on the bottom of the case no longer has anything to screw into and the keyboard is not flush in the center. Other than that everything works. I will be opening it up again to see if anything is obstructing it.

Tony will be eternally grateful.