Original post by: Randy Christianson ,
It's an old device with an old battery. Your battery could have just bit the big one after being used so long and the drop was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Replacing any component requires removing the digitizer, and if it's cracked that means a full replacement. If it's responding at all when you plug it in your charging port is likely fully connected, and it actually has a retaining bracket over it. In your situation I would suggest a battery and digitizer replacement.