Skip to main content

Fix Your Stuff

Right to Repair

Store

Help

Current version by: Sterling Hirsh ,

Title:

ToastedCoffee on new MacBook :(
ToastedCoffee on new MacBook :(

Text:

Long story short: Working from home, with at baby on the knee, drinking coffe = coffee in shiny new laptop.

I have done this before, with a MacBook 2,1 - so I quickly turned the laptop off, tore out the powercord, put a newspaper on the keyboard and turned it upside down. Getting the battery out was harder though, so I let it remain (my second mistake?). After ca 24 hours I turned the laptop back (probably too soon), and checked the newspaper - which had absorbed a decent amount of coffee. But the laptop won't turn on. (When I connected power, the battery was loading for a couple of minutes - and then turned green.)

I've opened the back and removed the harddrive and memory, as well as the battery connector now. There's no coffee in the power connector - or any other connectors that I can see.

So, I guess my question is: Is there any chance to save the laptop? Am I in for a logic board change - or will a wait an see approach likely be enough? (The coffee inside is still a bit wet.) Should I tear it down as far as I can and wipe the coffee off? Is there anyone else out there as stupid as I am?

Device:

MacBook Unibody Model A1342

Status:

open

Edit by: Sterling Hirsh ,

Title:

Toasted new MacBook :(

Text:

Long story short: Working from home, with at baby on the knee, drinking coffe = coffee in shiny new laptop.

I have done this before, with a MacBook 2,1 - so I quickly turned the laptop off, tore out the powercord, put a newspaper on the keyboard and turned it upside down. Getting the battery out was harder though, so I let it remain (my second mistake?). After ca 24 hours I turned the laptop back (probably too soon), and checked the newspaper - which had absorbed a decent amount of coffee. But the laptop won't turn on. (When I connected power, the battery was loading for a couple of minutes - and then turned green.)

I've opened the back and removed the harddrive and memory, as well as the battery connector now. There's no coffee in the power connector - or any other connectors that I can see.

So, I guess my question is: Is there any chance to save the laptop? Am I in for a logic board change - or will a wait an see approach likely be enough? (The coffee inside is still a bit wet.) Should I tear it down as far as I can and wipe the coffee off? Is there anyone else out there as stupid as I am?

Device:

MacBook Unibody Model A1342

Status:

open

Original post by: ibnalhazardous ,

Title:

Toasted new MacBook :(

Text:

Long story short: Working from home, with at baby on the knee, drinking coffe = coffee in shiny new laptop.

I have done this before, with a MacBook 2,1 - so I quickly turned the laptop off, tore out the powercord, put a newspaper on the keyboard and turned it upside down. Getting the battery out was harder though, so I let it remain (my second mistake?). After ca 24 hours I turned the laptop back (probably too soon), and checked the newspaper - which had absorbed a decent amount of coffee. But the laptop won't turn on. (When I connected power, the battery was loading for a couple of minutes - and then turned green.)

I've opened the back and removed the harddrive and memory, as well as the battery connector now. There's no coffee in the power connector - or any other connectors that I can see.

So, I guess my question is: Is there any chance to save the laptop? Am I in for a logic board change - or will a wait an see approach likely be enough? (The coffee inside is still a bit wet.) Should I tear it down as far as I can and wipe the coffee off? Is there anyone else out there as stupid as I am?

Device:

MacBook Unibody Model A1342

Status:

open