Help

Original post by: Pete Vandrew ,

Text:

The rule of thumb for any electronic device is to remove the power as soon as possible. The water does not damage the electronics; it is the current passing through the water that causes the damage. When the current passes through the water it sets up electrolysis which is the current in the water eating away at the copper traces on the circuit board which is evidenced by a green slim on the circuit board.

I dropped my phone in the toilet and immediately removed the battery. I then took the phone completely apart and rinsed all the parts under fresh water and used a hair dryer at a distance of about 12 inches so not to melt any plastic and dried each component, pc boards, membrane keypad, and the display board. The display board was the most challenging because water got between the layers. When everything was dry I assembled all the components and powered the phone on and it was like new.

Pete

KC9QAB

Status:

open