What if you had a DVD with every iFixit guide?

December 20, 2010 Site News — Kyle

Imagine a snowy, perfect winter day in the countryside. You’re hanging out with your family around the fireplace, enjoying the good life. Suddenly, disaster strikes: the grandkid’s hide-and-seek game takes a violent turn, knocking the winning entrant in your annual tallest-gingerbread-house contest over onto your Captain Morgan Eggnog. Your desperate attempt to catch it does more harm than good, spraying the frothy mixture all over your daughter’s MacBook. Like any good iFixit member, you immediately kill the power. Step two is clear: you need to disassemble the machine right away and clean everything off before the sugar crystallizes. But you’re a hundred miles from the nearest internet connection!

Boy, do we have a solution for you—assuming you’re the type that thinks ahead. Which you are, because you are awesome.

You can now have all iFixit repair manuals, in PDF format, on any computer — whether you’re connected to the internet or not.

We’ve made DVD ISOs of our entire database of over 3,500 guides! They’re distributed across three DVD ISOs.

We’ve seeded them as torrent files, so you’ll be able to download and either burn them onto DVDs, or just mount the ISOs directly to a virtual drive, like you would with any disk images. The choices are almost endless.

Gadget gurus and repair techs can now have a portable reference anywhere they go. About to embark on a journey to Nicaragua for a peace-keeping, repair-oriented mission? Just download the ISOs the day before and have a safe flight. Think that the world is coming to an end in 2012 and want to print out the manuals before the internet shuts off? This is the best way to do it, although we don’t recommend killing that many trees just because you’re crazy. But it’s a free country, and you can do as you please.

We used to sell DVDs of our PDF manuals, and they were quite popular back in the day. We can still provide that service if there’s enough demand. Just let us know in the comments section if you’d like to see the DVDs pop up in our store. For now, you can just download the ISOs! If you don’t already have a BitTorrent client, check out Transmission (for Mac and Linux) and uTorrent (for Mac, Windows, and Linux).

The repair guide ISOs

The community is constantly adding and improving guides, so we’ll be posting new ISOs once a quarter (four times a year). I’ll put up a new post here every quarter when updated ISOs are available.

37 Comments

1. can i just say
    AMAZING RESOURCE
    I’m coming up with some interesting ideas for these

Comment by rab777hp — December 20, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

2. thanks a lot, this is an amazing share !!!

Comment by Martin — December 20, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

3. All I can say is wow, simply becuase knowing my luck I will be DEFINITELY be using these this Christmas. Thanks Guys!

Comment by Dylan — December 20, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

4. How long should the downloads take? I’m getting speeds from 50 to 400 kb/s.

Comment by brian — December 21, 2010 @ 10:31 am

5. That is an awesome idea. Thanks!

Comment by Ryan — December 21, 2010 @ 11:14 am

6. @brian The download speed will increase as more people start seeding it. We’re maintaining two continuous seeds so the files will always be there—it might just take a few days. The more people that download and share the file, the faster it will be for everyone.

Comment by kyle — December 21, 2010 @ 11:38 am

7. Thanks, Kyle! Just making sure I wasn’t doing something wrong.

Comment by brian — December 21, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

8. Perhaps the best one yet.

Comment by Jose Martinez — December 21, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

9. This very post reminds me of all the hopes I have related to the internet as a free sharing platform of ideas and information. Many thanks.

Comment by Luke — December 22, 2010 @ 6:22 am

10. just out of curiousity – will you be making “supplemental” ISO files that might contain any updates going forward? or will eash ISO have to be downloaded again to get any new fixes that are out there? – GREAT IDEA by the way – I’m a data hoarder so this will fit nicely in my stockpile!

Comment by C Z — December 22, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

11. Undoubtedly your Mission in life it’s that a World Better Place to live, thanks I’m learn every time.

Comment by Edgard — December 22, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

12. @CZ We will be releasing all-new complete ISOs once a quarter. Releasing incremental DVD supplements would be a bit tricky, although if someone wanted to create them using our API you’d be more than welcome. I am interested in feedback on the formatting of the discs—so if you think of something that would be a useful change, I’ll do it for the next batch of discs.

Comment by kyle — December 22, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

13. Fantastic idea. Merry Christmas- a free present! Thank you. xx

Comment by pollytintop — December 23, 2010 @ 2:20 am

14. Can you guys get any more awesome? Well? Why are you not answering? Is it because you are busy getting MORE awesome? I knew it!

Comment by angryfrench — December 23, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

15. Awesome !!! I would download, though I don’t own a Mac,these would be handy when I own one [which is in the near future :)]

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

- Himanshu Sheth.

Comment by Himanshu Sheth — December 24, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

16. This is a generous and very valuable gift… both the app and the ISOs, and is in the spirit iFixit has always had. I’m a Mac consultant, and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, and I recommend iFixit to my clients regularly… I encourage you all to do so as well. Let’s keep these guys well employed and happy! Its the least we can do in return for all they’ve done for us.

Comment by Charles Lindauer — December 24, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

17. So very generous of you guys @ iFixit. This is a wonderful gifts for us this Christmas. Thanks a lot!

Comment by Mao — December 24, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

18. You guys absolutely rock :) great idea

Comment by remmelt — December 24, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

19. Thanks a lot

Comment by don quino — December 25, 2010 @ 12:58 am

20. Thank you very much, I am doing this during the Xmas period. I hope I will be able to use in teaching so that more students could benefit from your good work.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
    Sanyaade

Comment by sanyaade — December 25, 2010 @ 7:37 am

21. Im speechless!! awesome idea! thanks!

Comment by Antonio — December 25, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

22. Terrific Christmas presents. Thanks very much for all the hard work that went into creating these ISOs.

Comment by w7guy — December 25, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

23. Its an amazing stuff, you have did it again….

Comment by Don Sebastian — December 26, 2010 @ 12:34 am

24. Thank you for this. I created a thread about this on totse. http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?p=107049

Comment by James — December 26, 2010 @ 11:31 am

25. Thank you very much, iFixit. I’ve dedicated a system on 12Mbps/3Mbps pipe to help distribution on my available bandwidth. Hope this helps your torrent distribution to payback for such great information.

EVERYONE LEAVE YOUR TORRENTS RUNNING 24/7 EVEN AFTER YOU GET THE FILES.

Comment by Larry W4CSC — December 26, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

26. ifixit DVD #1, under Mac laptops-the ibook folders cannot be read or opened on dell laptop

please check & advise if you have this same problem

Comment by pcmac — December 27, 2010 @ 10:04 am

27. canot open all pdf,syntac is error
    macbookair 11″
    ibook G3 14″
    ibook G3 12″
    ibook G4
    macbookpro
    powerbook G4

Comment by wantse — December 29, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

28. @wantse Those PDFs work fine for me on my Mac. What program (and version #) are you using to open the PDFs?

Comment by kyle — December 29, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

29. kyle,,i use windows ..i download from demonoid.me
    the size is 4,1 Gb but when i mount on magic disk it only shown 1 gb file off all

Comment by wantse — December 30, 2010 @ 5:55 am

30. kyle from disc 2 have problem,here is myscreenshot

Comment by wantse — December 30, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

31. @wantse I can’t see that screenshot; can you post a larger link?

Comment by kyle — December 30, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

32. sorry kyle,here is my screenshot http://upload.kapanlagi.com/h/20101231210816_error_4d1de3d020e4e.JPG

i have finished disc 1 and disc 2,only 4Gb succes copied to my hardisk

Comment by wantse — December 31, 2010 @ 7:11 am

33. halo kyle..i use magic iso then try exstrak this folder to harddrive
    macbookair 11″
    ibook G3 14″
    ibook G3 12″
    ibook G4
    macbookpro
    powerbook G4
    now pdf can opened

but i still have a problem with burning this iso
    dvd canot be opened this folder
    macbookair 11″
    ibook G3 14″
    ibook G3 12″
    ibook G4
    macbookpro
    powerbook G4

Comment by wantse — December 31, 2010 @ 10:34 am

34. @wantse Thanks for the info. It looks like I did something when I created the ISO that makes Windows not like ” characters. Copying it to your hard drive like you did should fix it. It makes sense that Windows would refuse to burn it. I’ll work on a solution, but you might be best trying to find a workaround for now. Or burn the discs on a Mac. Thanks for the detail!

Comment by kyle — December 31, 2010 @ 10:43 am

35. thanks kyle for your hard work
    and happy new year 2011 :-)

Comment by wantse — December 31, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

36. Thank you very much for this awesome collection.
    Hope more good collection in the future :)

Comment by Rakha — January 1, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

37. WOW, thanks!
    Unfortunately I can’t download torrents, all blocked :(
    Are there any rapidshare, hotfile, etc links out there?

appreciate it