27″ iMac Wallpaper

October 23, 2009 Hardware — Miro

Our 27" iMac (it's turned on!) with our new wallpaper.

One of our staffers came up with a great idea, an idea so fun that we dropped everything we were doing and started reassembling the 27″ iMac.

He thought it would be awesome to take a picture of the iMac internals and make it into wallpaper. So we did exactly that.

We reassembled the iMac to the point of how it would look like as if you just opened it: no glass, no LCD, and no iSight. We took the wallpaper shot, then fully reassembled it and put our fresh wallpaper on the machine. The results were nothing short of wonderful.

We learned a long time ago that “sharing is caring,” and didn’t want to keep this accomplishment all to ourselves.

So here it  is, in its 2560 x 1440 glory. Enjoy!

24 Comments

1. Awesome!thanks for sharing the wallpaper ;)

Comment by martin — October 23, 2009 @ 7:28 pm

2. Wow this is amazing. Any chance you could do it for the others? I have a 24″ I’d love this wallpaper for.

Thanks so much for all your help- this site is an incredible asset to the internets.

Comment by Josh — October 23, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

3. great idea! and thanks for the teardown. now I can’t wait for mine to ship…

Comment by bac — October 23, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

4. Are we gonna do this for other computers?? MacBooks, MacBook Pros??

Comment by Chris — October 24, 2009 @ 7:31 am

5. Yes, please! Can you do it for the 13″ Aluminum Unibody Macbooks please? I have a late 2008 model ;)

Comment by minusfive — October 25, 2009 @ 9:41 pm

6. fuckin genius!! i need something for my 15″ macbook pro!

Comment by adizz — October 29, 2009 @ 1:57 am

7. Is there any way you could do one of these for a 15″ Unibody MacBook Pro as well? It would be awesome!!!

Comment by Martin — October 29, 2009 @ 6:41 am

8. [...] iFixit (27インチ [...]

Pingback by 新型iMac解体壁紙。 « MACHNOS DX — October 31, 2009 @ 7:12 am

9. A few suggestions for further pics:

1. Use either a lens with rectalinear correction or photoshop’s len’s correction filter to get rid of the barrel distortion and angular perspective, being sure to center the camera *precisely* in the middle of the screen and get it parallel with the screen.

2. Use top-down lighting or two flood bulbs at 45 deg. out from either side. This eliminates glare, and better defines all of the details (not to mention makes the picture look better than a drunken party pic). Hence, *no straight-on flash.* It’ll class it up.

These are some pretty simple steps to make this kind of photo look like the product photos we see direct from our fav. manufacturer. If you’re going to take the time to do tear downs, why not take a few extra minutes to make it worth all of that effort?

If it were me, I’d drop down the brights with some of my image editors to leave all the detail in the photo, but make it a non-distracting desktop- sort of like you’re seeing the parts through the smokey haze of the black bezel and turned off display.

It’s really just a friendly suggestion, but one, were I in your position, definitely worth consideration.
    Cool idea, btw.

Comment by Dan — November 4, 2009 @ 9:44 am

10. Thanks, iFixit! Cool idea. You’re getting very inventive with that file name “cHeCGNjAywqmQnZa.jpeg” too!

I also support Dan’s comments about lighting making a big difference. I often take photos of my clients’ machines during my own teardowns so I remember exactly where everything was in case of unanticipated problems and also to share with the client when I’m done – they like to see that stuff too sometimes – and I have learned not to use flash, but set my camera on a tripod and use a slower shutter speed to get the pix I want.

Good luck also with the new iFixit Answers section!

Comment by Kaliko Trapp ("drmacnut") — November 4, 2009 @ 10:01 am

11. It’s these sort of fun ideas that keep me coming back to your website…. Thanks!!

Comment by Anthony Robbins — November 4, 2009 @ 10:18 am

12. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions for future wallpapers (and lighting setups!).

We had an interesting time lining up the camera with the iMac — once we removed the LCD, the iMac’s body naturally rotated upward, since the counterweight was gone. We also had to line up the floodlights just right, or we’d get excessive glare on the heatsinks and optical drive.

Thanks for the tip on Photoshop’s lens correction filter. We’ll certainly utilize it for future wallpapers!

Comment by miro — November 4, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

13. [...] (and have a bigger budget), the UJ-235 drive should work fine as well. Checkout the must have 27″ iMac Wallpaper. Share and [...]

Pingback by Add a Blu-ray Drive to your 27″ iMac | macblunt — November 4, 2009 @ 6:33 pm

14. awesome! thanks for sharing!

Comment by Ray — January 8, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

15. [...] state, but managed to snap a photo of the internals just before the LCD was put back on. The 27″ iMac wallpaper was born, and people loved [...]

Pingback by 21.5″ iMac Wallpaper « iFixit Blog — February 16, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

16. [...] the 27″ iMac wallpaper came out, we got plenty of emails asking us for iPhone wallpapers. We definitely heard your cries, [...]

Pingback by iPhone 3GS Wallpaper « iFixit Blog — February 23, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

17. [...] outubro do ano passado, a ideia surgiu com o iMac de 27 polegadas; há alguns dias, eles deram continuidade com o iMac de 21,5″; hoje, completaram o pacote com [...]

Pingback by Wallpapers criados pelo iFixit mostram raio-x interno de iMacs e iPhones | MacMagazine — February 23, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

18. I own a 24″ iMac. PLZ! I’d love this wallpaper for.

Comment by cibele — February 23, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

19. Guys,

any chance we’re getting it for the 24″ model??

Comment by Henrique Xavier — February 24, 2010 @ 7:16 am

20. @bac, @chris, @minusfive:
    whats behind the LCD of your macbook/pro? right, could be boring. great idea anyway!

Comment by da. — February 24, 2010 @ 10:48 am

21. Thank you. Such an awesome idea. Great share! It’s on my i7 now.

Comment by Daniel — February 24, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

22. [...] dem coolen 27″ iMac Wallpaper, der das komplette Innenleben des iMac als Desktophintergrund zeigt, hat iFixIt.com jetzt auch ein [...]

Pingback by iPhone News » Blog Archive » iFixIt: iPhone-Platinen als Bildschirmhintergrund — February 25, 2010 @ 9:07 am

23. I would die for the 24″ iMAC,

Comment by Tblum1958 — February 26, 2010 @ 6:17 am

24. i dont really like this :D or maybe it looks better on imac :)

Comment by wallpapers — March 25, 2010 @ 2:39 pm