- both the answers above are acurate. but here is mine. yes it is from the backlight, i can tell you with 99% sure. Now you just have to check in the service manual if the backlight is repaireble. hope it helped ;)
- take the phone apart, diconnect the ribbon cable, from the screen. Clean both the socket and the plug. reassemble it. It may just be some dirt that got into the phone.
- try update the driver
- there are no bios reset holes on laptops. you can do a bios reset, by "load bios defaults" on the bios, obviously.... it might be also a motherbord failure, its what sounds most likely... in that case considerer buying a new laptop.
- http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Microsoft_S... click on the teardown and you wil get there.
- just go with an external hard drive. might be handy in a future.
- Most common reason why laptops shutdown is Overheating... A fan cleanning, a thermal paste and a thermal pad change most likely will solve the problem.