« Back to All Stories

Replacing 2 Gen 2 iPod Touch batteries

by ninjaneer451

My Problem

The iPods were eating battery juice a lot quicker than when they were new.

My Fix

On the first iPod, I tore the flex circuit to the front panel. I was having trouble locating the clips, so that may have been a factor. On the second iPod I made a full-scale guide for finding the clips and used a number 17 chisel point blade in an x-acto knife which seemed to work better than the iPod disassembly tool. I considered taking the edge off the blade but ended up using it without doing so and it worked well. The rest of the repair went easily as I have a lot of experience taking things apart and soldering. One thing I fixed was the power button , which need to be pushed hard to work. The button is soft plastic or hard rubber with a tiny aluminum plate stuck to it with double stick tape. The plate pushes a domed tactile switch. On my iPod, the plate had moved and needed to be re-attached in the correct location. I lost the plate but made a new one from a bit of aluminum flashing. I glued it in place with Plio-Bond which should hold better than the double stick tape. It worked great.

My Advice

I have yet to get a new front panel to fix the one I tore. It should be easy to replace it because putting it together is the easy part. I tried to upload the full-size template, but it did not work. I think it helps. I will do it if I figure out a way to do so.