My daughter's iPod 5th Generation had a malfunctioning display. Possibly someone sat on it but the details were a little fuzzy. In any case, the iPod was pretty much a paperweight.
It went pretty well - considering that I don't consider myself a handy sort of guy. I went through all the steps, replaced the display, and put it back together. Voila! The display worked! But ... there was sound in only one ear. So I took it apart again, re-secured the audio cable and this time everything was good. Total time spent probably about 1 hour.
Be patient, follow the directions exactly, and work under good light. A magnifying glass or a pair of reading glasses wouldn't hurt either.