Registering For An Account ¶
- You have to sign up for an account prior to contributing to any guides or discussions.
- This window should appear:
- Fill In the form that appears with your:
- Use a valid email address that you own.
- Your email address will NOT be public!
- Your Name
- This is the name displayed next to your avatar across the community.
- Write your password down somewhere so you don't forget it.
- Increase your password strength by having a healthy mix of: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols!
Filling Out Your Profile ¶
Viewing Your Profile ¶
You can also click on your avatar in the top right corner to view your profile. On your profile page you'll see all the guides you've created.
Add An Avatar ¶
To add an avatar to your profile, click the "Edit" tab on the right side of your browser. You will now see your avatar window in the top left of the browser, drag an image from your image library (the bottom bar) and release the image over the avatar window. Click Save for the changes to take effect.
Add An About Section ¶
To add an About Section, click "Edit" above your profile avatar on the right side of the browser and then select the "About" tab on the left side of the browser. Tell the community about yourself: hobbies, interests, or whatever else your expressive side feels inclined to share!
Think of this section as a virtual resume to showcase your repair knowledge and accomplishments in the community.
Change My Password ¶
If you ever decide to change your account password, simply press "Edit" on the right side of the browser. From here you can update your password, be sure to follow password guidelines mentioned above.
Change Your Display Name ¶
To change the name you wish to have displayed to the iFixit community, simply press "Edit" on the right side of the browser. Go to the entry field labeled "Name" in the center of the browser, changing this entry will change your display name.
Change Your Email ¶
To change the email address associated with your iFixit account, simply press "Edit" on the right side of the browser. Go to the entry field labeled "Email" in the center of the browser, changing this entry will change your email address.
Subscribe / Unsubscribe To Emails ¶
There are three different Email notification methods to have subscriptions for:
- Repair newsletter - Will keep you informed of iFixit community updates (about once bimonthly)
- News announcements - Will keep you informed of iFixit blog posts (3-6 times per month)
- Automatic reply and answer notifications - Automatically notifies you when users reply to your active Answers posts (varies based on participation in Answers)
Add A Certification ¶
iFixit currently allows users who are Apple Certified Macintosh Technicians to showcase their certification. To submit a certification, press "Edit" on the right side of the browser and press the "Upload Certification" on the right side of the browser. From here, drag in a scanned image of your certification and press submit.