Page 1 of 1

Hard disk temp sensor adhesive

Flag Reply by axel

(This isn't strictly laptop-related - hope that's ok!)

I'm in the process of replacing the hard disk in a 2006-vintage intel iMac. There's a temp sensor stuck to the hard disk with a sticky adhesive pad. I've destroyed the old pad getting it off. Can I get a new pad, or what should I use to glue the temp sensor onto the new disk?

Thanks!!

Flag Reply reply by Andrew Bookholt

Quote from axel:

(This isn't strictly laptop-related - hope that's ok!)

I'm in the process of replacing the hard disk in a 2006-vintage intel iMac. There's a temp sensor stuck to the hard disk with a sticky adhesive pad. I've destroyed the old pad getting it off. Can I get a new pad, or what should I use to glue the temp sensor onto the new disk?

Thanks!!

Hey axel,

Unfortunately we do not yet offer new sticky pads for the many thermal sensors on your iMac. For now, I think your best bet would be to use a single strip of double-sided tape to stick the sensor back down. I'm sure that the sticky pads Apple uses to hold the thermal sensors down are designed to be excellent conductors of heat (for accurate temperature readings), but I don't think one strip of double-stick tape will have much of an insulating effect. Before you stick the tape down to the sensor, be sure to clean off all the remnants and residue of the old sticky pad from both the sensor and the body of your hard drive for a strong bond. Also, after you've stuck the sensor down with double-stick tape, apply a strip of regular scotch tape over the top of the sensor for good measure. We'll let you know if/when the pads become available.

-Andrew

Page 1 of 1

Reply to: Hard disk temp sensor adhesive