0

michael
41

Loud PS3 fan. System overheats and shuts down after 2 hours

What do I need to fix in order to stop my PS3 from shutting down after 2 hours of gameplay? The fan speeds up about 5 notches within a minute then sounds like a hoover within half hour, eventually shutting down. It doesn't have the YLOD; I can turn it back on and carry on playing. So, what do I need to do before it eventually blows up?

Edited by: michael ( ) , Brett Hartt ( )

1

Brett Hartt

Hey Michael. It sounds like your playstation is having some cooling issues. The PlayStation is probably shutting down as a fail safe to prevent damage from overheating.

I suggest taking the machine apart and cleaning it out. You would be surprised (grossed out) at the amount of dust that accumulates inside of game consoles, and that can be a serious detriment to cooling. While you are at it, pull the heat sinks off of the processors and replace the thermal paste. The factory thermal paste sometimes "dries out" and doesn't conduct heat as well as it used to. You can follow this guide to help you get to the processors.

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

3.5 gram Arctic Silver thermal paste tube. Thermal paste forms a continuous, conductive layer between a processor and its head sink, improving cooling performance and keeping your important chips from overheating. Whenever you remove a heat sink, it's ver — 50+ available at 8.95 each.

0

TONY
1

also try changing the fan i did and it worked

0

blinx
1

My PS3 Is so loud i have to put my TV full blast or through my Comm in my ear

Edited by: blinx ( )

0

blinx
1

You are right,Michael, DUST AND Thermal paste cause this problem for me