1

Crocdog
35

Bought the A1181 screw set, any way to measure screws?

Re: A1181 LCD replacement Guide

All the screws arrived in a little bag OK, but all mixed up.

Following the reassembly instructions I've tried to measure each screw (REALLY tedious). Especially for 2.2 type sizes (with tenths of a mm). Shank widths; thread depths; cap widths.

I've been using a printer's loupe and a transparent metric ruler. Also I feel my accuracy is in doubt. I don't want to goof up any threads or round out any Phillips' caps. Is there any method for speeding up tiny screw measurements? A Metal or paper guide?

Thank you,

crocdog

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

2

Brett Hartt

Hey Crocdog,

What I usually do with a bunch of mixed up screws is, like you have already done, group them by size. Then, as I go through the guide, I look for places where I remove a certain number of screws at a time. For instance, if I see 4 screws of similar dimensions, I look for places where four similar screws would likely reside. Also, since there is no "official" way to classify head sizes, take a look at the guide. When we show to remove screws, you can view the image in high-res and take a good look at the screw heads.

This may not seem like a considerable help, but currently we don't have a better way to correlate screws and guides. However, I have found that a digital caliper is incredibly useful when measuring screw lengths.

Digital Caliper

Accurately measure small screws and parts. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.