0

Robert Hovorka
13

Open 360 S HDD Enclosure

Has anyone tried or posted a manual for opening the HDD enclosuer for an Xbox 360 S model HDD. I want to upgrade my old non-S Xbox to the 320 GB drive, but MS doesn't make it in the old enclosure style, and I'm not a fan of aftermarket.

If I crack open the S HDD case will it still just be a standard 2.5 inch drive inside like the old enclosure?

I've tried searching the web for this but have been unsuccessful thus far. I figured if anyone would know the answer it would be the iFixit community.

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , oldturkey03, pollytintop, osvaldo, and mayer ( )

1

Robert Hovorka
13

So I just went ahead and tried it. And yes, inside the Xbox 360 S Hard Drive enclosure is a standard 2.5 inch hard drive that can then be inserted into the original Xbox 360 hard drive enclosure.

Downside is that the S enclosure is glued together, so getting the drive out is very destructive to the casing. If you have a heat gun maybe you could soften the glue and take it appart without damaging the case, but I do not.

Anyway, short version. If you, like me, want to upgrade to the latest and greatest Xbox 360 hard drive size, have the old model Xbox 360, don't have the means/patience/skill to hack your own disk, and require the use of the original Xbox emulator (the aftermarket drives I looked at do not have this) then yes, you can use the Xbox S Hard Drive in your original Model 360. Just follow the previously posted guide for dissassembly of the hard drive enclosure, and take care when cracking open the S enclosure.

0

mistrato
151

Thanks, but while that is interesting it doesn't tell me if an MS original S model hard drive can be removed from its enclosure and put into the old style enclosure.

Robert Hovorka,

You mean extract the Xbox S HD to put it in a original Xbox enclosure? I guess you should try, maybe it works. If it doesn't work used the "hack" procedure.

mistrato,

0

Brock
1