4

040304
7k

Is the 700R4 interchangeable with the Turbo 350?

Probably I will get nailed for this one, but here goes.

I have a 1986 Chevy K20 Pickup. It originally came with a Turbo-Hydramatic 350 transmission. It has a 700R4 installed now, which is shot. Will I be able to re-install a T350 with no other wiring or tubing modifications? Should I just be safe and find another 700r4 and throw it in?

Off computer topic I know, but hey do I care? There is a big knowledge base out there.

Regards,

Frank

It's definitely a hardware problem ;-)

mayer,

5

rj713

This URL seems to answer your question. Good luck. Ralph

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/can-i-pu...

Read all the way down to get the speedometer info. Ralph

rj713,

nice research +

mayer,

Yeah, great info, thanks. My speedo is about 5 mph off since it must be the old style. So, whichever tranny I find cheapest and quickest will make it in there. Also, it's for sale :) https://accounts.craigslist.org/post/shw...

040304,

0

travis bouska
1

you will need to get a different tail shaft, the th350 is shorter, and to be honest, you want to the 700r4, get it rebuilt if you have to, the difference in fuel economy will pay for the cost of the transmission in time

0

Brian Halliwell
1

350 hydromatics come in 3 tailshaft lenths (sic) 6 inch 9 and 12 they have the same output spline flexplate bolt pattern and engine mounting pattern to swap out a 700 r4 you need a 9 inch you will have to move the transmission support forward several inches .this causes a little alinement issue with the shift shaft in some applicatinos but it will work other than having either not enough positions or too many on the shift quadrant , and you better hope that you are swapping out an early 700 with a speedo cable as some later units(i think) had a speed sensor that means finding a new tailshaft cone and gears to drive the speedo cable there is a cable operated shift control on both transmissions and a vacuume operated pressure control on the 350 that warrants some understanding .also late 350s had a locking torque converter(adds an electrical ciruit) in an effort to improve fuel economy (but they also cut the weight out of some of the internal rotating elements at the same to reduce weight)some would say and reliability i'd call it an easy swap for any back yard mechanic certainly much easier than what you need to know to repair cars of only one decade later