0

Kizul Emeraldfire
11

How easy would it be to repair the 3DS charge port?

I am thinking of getting a 3DS for cheap (cheap because its 'charge port is bad'), but I was wondering just how easy or difficult it would be to repair it.

I have a soldering iron and decent soldering experience, but it'd still be nice to know if it even COULD be repaired before I try.

Edited by: Kizul Emeraldfire ( )

It's not always "the port" that's the problem.. Fuses and power chip is sometimes at fault.

pollytintop,

4

Kizul Emeraldfire , nothing is ever really easy:) take a look at this guide. Right around step 7 and 8 do you see the port clearly. It is soldered unto the logic board. So if you are pretty good with soldering small components onto a board, it should be a straight forward repair. The part is available from places like this. Not a bad price :) and absolutely doable. Hope this helps, good luck.

Hm... Would I *need* to get a replacement port component? I probably wouldn't if it was just broken solder (re-soldering it would be a cinch), but would something like that actually 'burn out'? o.O?

Kizul Emeraldfire,

It would not burn out, but it is possible that the contacts are bend from pulling the plug sideways to often or the contacts on the logic board may have cracked and not making proper connection with the logic board. The only way to know that, is by looking at it and may be checking with a multimeter.

I see — thank you very much! You've been most helpful :)

Kizul Emeraldfire,

0

jame
1

i need help

If you need help, you need to tell us what you need help with. If you elaborate more on this, you might actually find and answer to your problem

0

Sera
11

Umm... how would you go around repairing/changing out the 3DS charge port in the first place? Mine recently got bent out of shape (kind of literally) so...

Just like the original answer said, disassemble it, desolder the old one and resolder a new one:-) It is really not that bad:-)

But I don't know how to do that.

Sera,

Is there anybody that can do it for you? Do you have the tools, or can you get them? Can you practice on some old boards?

Sera, you should look up and research the skill of soldering. In basically, you use a iron rod that's heated up to melt solder, a tin and lead alloy (sometimes copper replacing the lead), and connect electronic components with it, like wires. You should probably make a question here on ifixit and get some help from people like oldturkey here.

Thorhian,

0

John
1

My 3ds chaging port is littery bent the thing that sticks shartet us facsing down and it will not carghe so i would be mad