0

asdfADRiAN
137

Modify Propietary Sony Card Reader to a MicroSD Reader?

Hello there,

I am wondering. Is there any possible way to swap out the Sony card reader and switch in a MicroSD card reader?

I understand the pinouts are a bit different and shape, but other than that the size in dimension make it seem possible.

Or will the new security on these cards prohibit me from using the MircoSDHC?

Edited by: asdfADRiAN ( )

0

MannyF
31

While I agree that piracy is illegal, it is not the reason to blame for Sony using the proprietary card on the Vita. Sony developed their own format long ago and use it with their products where they see fit. Why wouldn't they after spending all the time and money on developing it? They developed that micro card for phones. Almost all Sony cameras use their Memory Stick format except on I believe their DSLR to take advantage of the faster write speeds. Yes piracy killed software sales in the PSP, but that's not the reason the Vita has the M2 card slot. If it were, Sony would have eliminated expandable memory completely. And even then, that doesn't mean pirates won't attack it. Just look at Apple's devices.

You are right though about needing to know component level soldering work and it may still not prove feasible. The best bet IS an adapter.

1

Nick

It is too early to know if this can be done

Even if it could be done, you would need to know how to do compoent level soldering and how to reduce the voltage and change the pin-out to avoid frying the motherboard in the Vita

Not only that, there may be security measures in place to keep you from using the memory card due to the piracy the PSP was known for, which is a key reason for a proprietary memory card

The best advice I have for you is see if China makes a adapter to use MicroSD/ SDHC cards in the vita, it might happen given time

I'm going to tell you what to blame for this card Sony used

PIRACY

Honestly, it's beyond me why everyone suffers because of the pirates

Edited by: Nick ( )