0

guillermotoro
1

Coffee spilled on MacBook Air 13"

Some five days ago (June 4th), I spilled a coffee cup on my Macbook Air 13" (1.8 GHz, Mid 2011) keyboard and its shut off immediately (11am). After 6 hour of drying with AC conditioner (17pm), the MBA turn on and no problem with the system, because I worked with it.

However, at night (21pm), when charge is off, I put the charger and the indicator light charger was not orange (like discharged), but green (like charged). Well, now (June 8th) I think that my MBA does not recognize the battery, because the charger light in green is kept. I believe the only water damage was on battery.

I would like to know how to evaluate the real state of my MBA, before sending to technical service (very expensive) and I would like to know if I could repair myself.

In advance, thank you very much.

Guillermo

2

mayer

What is the status of your battery icon in the menu bar?

Download and run Coconut battery to get an idea of what's up with your battery and let us know your results: http://www.coconut-flavour.com/

2

Nick

You have to clean the computer before you go any further, so the coffee is not a variable in the troubleshooting process

You will need to take the whole computer apart tough, so keep this in mind

Here is a list of parts to keep out of isapropal alcohol

battery(best to replace it just in case)

fan

Upper case

cables(to clean the cables, just dip the toothbrush in the alcohol and clean the connections that way)

As to cleaning the boards, use a toothbrush to help clean it, this works when i do cell phones with loosening dire in crevices

You will need 91% or stronger to clean the computer

Here are the guides you need to take it apart

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2011 Logic Board Replacement

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2011 I/O Board Replacement

You will also need thermal paste, a T5 torx screwdriver and a pentelobe screwdriver

Retina MacBook Pro and Air 5-Point Pentalobe P5 Screwdriver

T5 Torx Screwdriver

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

now that the computer is dry, reassembled and clean, it's time to begin troubleshooting

Reset the SMC and PRAM

To reset the SMC, press and hold command, option, P and R at the same time while it is booting before the bong

The PRAM is different on non-replaceable battery computers to reset

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

From here, you will have to change parts out as you go and keep trying till the right part solves your problem

It's also a good idea to buy a new battery just in case, I tend to suggest replacing the battery no matter what with liquid damage, I worked with a phone, battery bulged, and it could have very well exploded, and I did make her aware of the bulging, I told her to replace it before tough as soon as you can, if you can't afford a replacement yet, watch it closely and see if it acts up in any way that is not normal, when it does, replace it right away

Edited by: Nick ( )

T5 Torx Screwdriver

Use to take apart your electronics. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 4.95 each.

Compatible with the type 5IPR fasteners used on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Retina Display laptops, and Toshiba drives. Professional, Made in the USA tool options. — 50+ available at 11.95 each.

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

3.5 gram Arctic Silver thermal paste tube. Thermal paste forms a continuous, conductive layer between a processor and its head sink, improving cooling performance and keeping your important chips from overheating. Whenever you remove a heat sink, it's ver — 50+ available at 8.95 each.