2

Binh Nguyen
25

iPhone 4s microphone not working

I dropped my iphone (4GS, 16 GB, ATT) into water. Now the microphone is not work at all, it can't recieve any noise level to Skype, Siri, or when I talking to other people. The speaker and other functions are still working perfectly. Any recommend to fix it? Please tell me specific part if need to replace. Thank you very much.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

2

Kyle
145

The "specific" part he needs is a new dock. The dock consists of the charging port, the home button receiver, and the bottom microphone. He does not need a new speaker.

0

Ashley McMahon
229

If your microphone is not working there isn't anything you can do to really fix it so you will have to replace it. As you are on this site I'm sure you are quite familiar with a screwdriver and prying tool.

Follow the guide to replace the module which houses the microphone (on the left-hand side to the 30-pin dock connector) It's not a particularly easy fix but it is plain sailing once you have got past the battery.

A new module can be bought here on iFixit, on eBay or even on Amazon, won't cost you that £/$ 100 though and there isn't too much you can break apart from removing that battery which you might damage as you take it out. I'd replace that too if your iPhone is old, they are not excessively expensive either and it will improve your battery life too!

Hope this helps!

0

Gil
1

It seems there are a few different reasons why the lower microphone may stop working. I never had a problem with mine until I replaced the front glass. Having said that, when it did become an issue, it was almost exclusive to the mic not working during phone calls when using the handset. Speakerphone worked. Other apps like voice memos worked. For about $18 I ordered two replacements to be safe. But I then reopened the phone and dismantled it to the speaker and microphone. When I did I discovered that the microphone connection on the bottom uses a tube to funnel sound from the little speaker port outside. This tube had actually become dislodged when I replaced the speaker in reassembly. It's a little black rubber tube with a flat end. It almost looks like a tiny liquer bottle cap. Since I had closed/crimped the tube, no sound was picked up by the microphone. Much like a garden hose.

Here is the part should you need to replace it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

Edited by: Gil ( )

0

kh310
1

found this while searching for answers. I haven't tried it yet since I just ordered the screwdrivers I need. But maybe it might help some of you with your issues. this was posted by another person and I just wanted to share. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/0jhWxYTVxe4

-1

Apple
131

Hey, i'm an Apple genius and my solution to you is to go to the apple store and get a fix. They charge $100. ..... just trying to help

Also the specific part you need to replace is the left speaker on the bottom of your iPhone.

Edited by: Apple ( )

Apple, sure shows that you are a Genius. This is ifixit, where we try to assist people in repairing their own devices, not send you to Apple.