0

vasu
11

Replace original HD with 2 SSD's

Can I remove the original hard drive and install two 120 GB SSD's in my mid 2011 mac mini ? Please let me know..

Edited by: vasu ( )

1

Nicholas
723

Oh, sorry.

Yeah, that should be entirely possible.

Here's the iFixit guide for replacing the original HD:

Mac Mini Mid 2011 Hard Drive Replacement

In combination with the steps to instal the second hard drive, again located here:

Installing Mac Mini Mid 2011 Dual Hard Drive Kit

The final step of the second hard drive installation addresses the question of running the SSD as the primary. Specifically it says:

"To minimize the amount of work necessary when adding an SSD to be used as your primary drive, we recommend installing the SSD like we did in this guide and leaving the stock platter drive in its original bottom position (closest to the antenna plate). After reassembly, boot the Mini into Lion Recovery and use disk utility to erase your SSD. Then install Lion on your SSD. After rebooting, go into system preferences>startup disk and choose your SSD as the startup disk."

Then you should be made in the shade. Since the device can boot off the SSD as a primary then you don't need the other at all.

Once you have the system booting off the first SSD, then you can go back in and replace the original HD with your second SSD.

Though you will be required to install them in two waves. Put in the first and get it to successfully boot off of the SSD as the primary. Then go back in and install the second SSD by replacing the original HD.

Edited by: Nicholas ( )

There is a way to do this in one tear-down. The trick is using an external fire wire case to prep the first SSD. Follow the same steps in the prep and make sure the SSD is set as the boot disk before exchanging the HD out. I would put the old HD into the external firewire case as a OS backup (you never know when it will come in handly)

Dan,

0

Nicholas
723

There is enough room within the device to install a second hard drive, about a centimeter and a half of extra space.

Which is documented in iFixit's Teardown of the device, located here:

Mac Mini Mid 2011 Teardown

They also sell a convenient tool kit specifically for this purpose. Located here: Mac Mini Dual Drive Kit If you're interested or in need.

Oh, and here is an installation guide as well:

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by: Nicholas ( )

Mac Mini Dual Drive Kit

Add a second hard drive to your 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini. Kit includes: SATA Hard Drive Cable, Mounting Grommets, Mounting Screws, Logic Board Removal Tool, 26 Bit Driver Kit, and ESD-Safe Spudger. Compatible with 2.3, 2.5, or 2.7 GHz 2011 Mac Minis (Model A — 50+ available at 29.95 each.

what I meant was remove the original hard drive that comes with the mac mini and replace it by two ssd's. Is this possible ?

vasu,

Thanks, Nicholas. Appreciate your response.

vasu,

My pleasure, man. Glad I could help.

Nicholas,