0

velopro
85

Backlight only, no image after screen replacement

I replaced the front screen digitizer assembly on an Verizon iPhone 4. All instructions followed as outlined. Upon trying to turn the iPhone on, I see the backlight but there is no image at all. I disassembled, and reassembled rechecking all connections, etc. same issue. I have tried to soft reset, hard reset. Does not resolve the issue. When I hook the iPhone up to my PC it is recognized without a problem. Still it continues to only light the backlight but no image is displayed. Is something not making contact or should I conclude a faulty screen/digitizer assembly? Or is there another suggestion for troubleshooting?

velopro, replace your new screen with the old broken one and see what you get. Let us know.

3

velopro
85

Hello All,

First - thank you to those that followed up to my post here. I appreciate your time and expertise!

This is a follow-up/conclusion to my situation.

To recap - it was to be a routine front glass replacement on a CDMA iPhone 4 due to a cracked digitizer screen glass. I tend to order the complete assembly to make is easy to turn around the repair, which it what I did. After the new digitizer assembly was installed and the unit was reassembled the result was a blank screen with only a backlight coming on, just a blank screen, no image. I went back and rechecked everything by disassembling and reassembling again, paying attention to all details. Same result - blank screen with only the backlight coming on. I plugged the unit into a PC and it was recognized, etc. No issue there.

To wrap-up here - I decided to reorder the digitizer assembly thinking it was received defective as there was no indication of a torn cable or other damage to the digitizer assembly.

Upon receiving the replacement digitizer assembly (from a different source than the previous one), I redid the repair and viola! all was resolved.

I would have tried the original assemble as well, but I needed to get the iPhone back to the owner, so in just ordered another part and hoped for the best. I will now return the other digitizer to the seller for a credit.

I did note some missing details from the instruction that involve a small clear plastic piece that is "fused" to the inside of the front digitizer panel and fits around the front camera - perhaps some means of securing the camera?? Also, my original source of the digitizer panel did not have kapton tape in places on the digitizer cables or the mesh on the front speaker port, both of which needed to be transferred from the original digitizer panel. These can complicate the repair if not observed and taken care of.

Any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Mike

0

ducktape2201
1

Ok guys I had the same problem with a hot pink after replacing a new lcd on a 4s phone.The phone will not function at all no backlight at all.So I decide to try other just encase still the same result..The screens faulted out my 4s main board,so I decide to disconnect everything and leave it out for a few minutes so I can flush all the power form the main board.As I tried the second screen it work,but as I notice that there were more oil residue on the gold connector pins which connect to the main board.This maybe be the cause or the bad screen.

0

allterrainmail
1

Try holding both buttons down until the apple shows up. The phone will hard reload, but keep your buttons held clear through it until the apple shows up.

0

Lucia Wolf
1

Hi all,

I have a similar problem - I've replaced my screen & digitiser and only the backlight is working, no picture. It makes the camera sound when I do a screenshot so I know the device itself is on.

The old screen was still working, but the glass was smashed hence the repair. As per online advice, I reconnected the old screen, and now I have the same trouble - the backlight is working but there is no image.

I figure this indicates I have done something to the inside. All the connectors seem to be connected properly, as I rechecked this during both assemblies.

My next step is to clean all the connectors with alcohol, and I will let you know if makes any difference, but my question is: is anybody able to please let me know the purpose of each of the two screen connectors? I'd like to know which one I need to pay particular attention to.

Thank you

Hi guys

Here is an update:

Cleaning the connectors with isopropyl alcohol didn't help, so I figured it wasn't a case of the connectors being dirty.

I took it to a professional fixer and now it works perfectly. He said I had most likely accidentally damaged the LCD ribbons on both screens (or the one I received was faulty and I had damaged the original while removing). In any case, the message was that the ribbons are super, super sensitive. Super.

Based on this info, if you're going to proceed with the fix I recommend making sure your parts are from a quality seller, are sent in rigid packaging, and you are extremely careful with the ribbons when feeding through. If your old screen still shows an image, take the same care in removal as you do in assembly (so you have something to test against).

Though there is of course definite value in taking your phone to a pro, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see what was done to it (or get the satisfaction of a successful repair). Also I have to take his word that it was the ribbons and not some trade-secret extra twist to a screw or something.

The pro expressed criticism of internet tutorials but I didn't ask why. Perhaps it is that they don't provide sufficient, emphasised warning for dangers like these..(?)

If the occasion arises in the future I would definitely attempt another fix with this knowledge. I hope this is helpful in any amount and am interested to know how others resolve the problem themselves.

Cheers

Edited by: Lucia Wolf ( )

Hey Lucia, I had the same problem replacing the screen on my iPhone 4s. Did you resolve yours? First attached new screen - tested.. and saw nothing.. but the phone could receive calls, so I assume it was working fine (other than the screen of course - it was blank, not even a backlight.) Reinstalled previous broken screen and now backlight works but no image. I did have a fully functioning iPhone (with cracked screen) before trying the replacement. - My only plan is to try another screen tomorrow. thanks

Randall,

0

Matt Wilkinson
1

Try holding down the power button and the home button and it will work

0

Randall
1

Update: Problem solved. After consulting a repair tech, he informed me that the part of the cable closest to the screen is very fragile. He continued to add that there's a piece of "glass" or similar inside the cable and it's likely that when I was feeding the cables through the phone body to set the screen in that I may have bent that part of the cable too far thus damaging the connection. (there was no obvious way too see that any damage occurred) This actually made a lot of sense though - cause when I tried reinstalling my previous cracked screen I ended up with the same issue. Which led me to believe that I also bent that cable too far l when installing the screen. (And I was trying to be so careful.. just didn't realize that cable was soooo fragile!)

I got a new screen and was extra careful not to move that cable too much at the base. New screen worked great. Live and Learn.

0

Cassius Mills
1

Once you did everything correctly, and only get the backlight when you power on, hold the power and home button at the same time, This will force the system to detect the new screen and start to output video to it. Hold the buttons until the apple logo appears. Make sure you do this before ordering a new screen. This will work 99.9% of the time once nothing was damaged during the repair....