0

Wesley
1

Why is my iPod not charging

I got an I pod with what I thought was a bad battery so I replaced the battery and it worked perfect until it came time to charge. When I plug it in the I pod has the charge screen and the battery symbol says it's charging but when I disconnect it the battery bar doesn't move. I used it until it died and now it just stays at the screen that says please wait very low battery. Is there a part I can replace or is it just done?

Have you had a look at the charging pins and cleaned them?

pollytintop,

1

Wesley, it is possible that you do have a bad battery. It is also possible that your dock connector has some issues. Make sure that you have a good cable, that you try a different USB port as well as a wall charger. Clean the dock connector of any dirt, debris like pocket lint, and check for bend broken and corroded pins. The battery connector is finicky and has a tendency of breaking of the logic board, so be careful. If none of that works, you may have a bad power management IC on your logic board. Remove the front of your ipod and on the bottom left, opposite the battery connector, you will find an IC. That is the LTC4066. It is the USB power manager and Li-Ion battery charger. The LTC4066 monitors the battery charge state and temperature. When the battery is charged, it quits supplying power to the battery. Make sure that it is not destroyed. Check for obvious external damage. You can get the data sheet for the IC from here. You could use that to see if that is your problem. Also check on the fuse F1 and use a multimeter to see if you have continuity. Of course the other thing you could do is to replace your logic board which should run anywhere from $45 to higher. Hope this helps, good luck.

Ok I have my I pod open and I am to the logic board similar to the one pictured but it doesn't have the power management IC or the fuse that I can find I may have a different generation but I'm not sure

Wesley,

I may be an I pod video 5 gen

Wesley,

The metal piece around the dock connector is broken on one side. It doesn't appear to inter fear but that might be the problem and if so is it possible to fix that.

Wesley,

If it is a 5th gen it's an iPod Video (not a classic) the same IC is on the board but it is in the top left corner. Same principal as for the iPod Classic. The metal shield should not be a problem, unless it is providing the ground as well as creating a short circuit. Check for all the contacts, use a magnifying source. In order to fix it you will have to solder it.

Does the video have the fuse as well?

Wesley,