0

Skippy722

Dies after filling up with gas

This question is archived. No new answers are allowed, and only the question's owner may edit it.

I've had this problem for awhile, but it nearly got me hit today... Sometimes when I fill my van up with gas, it will start up fine, run for about 2 minutes, then idle really rough and die (like if you pull out of the station and hit a red light/stop light and waiting to make a left). I've also had it die while I was moving a few times... It also didn't seem like it wanted to start after it died, it never does... but after I did get it restarted, it drove really rough. It's weird though in that I left for work about an hour later and it ran fine the whole way. Any ideas?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( )

Archived as not answerable by oldturkey03

Can be caused by multiple things. Is your service engine light on? When was the last time your fuel filter got replaced? Possible a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay or bad sensor.

No check engine lights, did the key thing and no codes popped up, fuel filter got replaced at ~100k miles when it was misfiring on 3 cylinders. It runs great any other time, but when I fill it up it'll die... and it's only if I completely fill it up, if I only put like a quarter tank in it will be fine. I read somewhere that the EVAP system is messed up?

Skippy722,

0

mbrown1673
1

problem could be caused by water in the gas tank. a product call Heet can be used to resolve the above situation. if the problems still persist after consuming one tank of gas with one bottle of heet consult a qualified mechanic for further diagnosis (this will probably cost money).

We've tried this and it still does it... but thanks for the help. :)

Skippy722,

0

Luan
1

My 2005 grand caravan was running fine until I dropped off my kids at school, I started the van and the engine wouldn't start. I knew it wasn't the starter because it would crank but the engine wouldn't turn. I called my mechanic and he tried starting the van, after two seconds he knew exactly what the problem was. We had to tow it to my house to replace the fuel assembly/pump in the gas tank. The van runs great now! It cost me $550. Total for the tow and replacing the fuel assembly/pump. I hope this helps.

Ugh... thanks... I was really hoping it wasn't that but I'm starting to think it is... I'm just going to drive it till it dies.

Skippy722,

0

Tim Heilman
1

Before you do anything your should hook up to a real scanner. Many parts stores will run a free scan for you. There should be codes in memory. Maybe your check engine light is not working.

0

Mitch Rush

Skippy I would bet on the EVAP system because it only does this on a fill up and I have seen this happen before and that was the problem, when it dies you would smell Gas, it would be flooded because your EVAP system is saturated.